• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recent hunting photos from UK.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha that made me laugh! My 10 year old Burrell GSD cross picked up a hare recently, stalked up and picked her out of her seat - clever old bugger!

The beddy whip is very much a lamping dog at the moment, hopefully get him out with the ferrets once the frosts get here

Salukiwhippet said:
Hahaha that made me laugh! My 10 year old Burrell GSD cross picked up a hare recently, stalked up and picked her out of her seat - clever old bugger!

The beddy whip is very much a lamping dog at the moment, hopefully get him out with the ferrets once the frosts get here

:hatsoff:

Would you explain what lamping/"a lamping dog" is??
(The sole use that I've ever heard of the term "lamping" is usually called "jacklighting" in TX & it will get you locked up.)

yours, satx

Lamping in this case is using a spotlight to catch rabbits with a dog. Also applies to foxes and rats. Some folk used to lamp hares too but the purists would say that they should only be run in the daytime. Of course, catching hares and foxes with dogs is now illegal, so nobody does it :hmm: . Lamping with a small lurcher is the ultimate in rabbit catching as far as I'm concerned, I just can't stay in on a good rough autumn night with a warm wind and a bit of drizzle!

Fwiw, George Bernard Shaw was CORRECT. The UK & the USA are, "2 countries separated by a common language."

I had to "google" LURCHER, as I've never heard that term used in the USA.
(The official State dog of Texas I would guess would "qualify" as a Lurcher, inasmuch as the Blue Lacy is a cross of greyhound, English shepherd & WOLF.)

The Blue Lacy was originally bred as a dog that was big, fast & tough enough to "handle rough stock". It was later discovered that they generally also excel at hunting hogs, trailing wounded game & some have been trained as narcotics detection or bomb dogs.

Note: The Catahoula Cur (also called The Catahoula Cattle-dog), the State dog of Louisiana, would likely also qualify as a Lurcher, as they are descended from a sighthound, French pointer & red wolf.
Catahoula Curs are believed to have been originally bred in the 17th Century by the Choctaw Indians in South LA & MS for hunting & herding/protecting their flocks.

yours, satx

Salukiwhippet said:
Lamping in this case is using a spotlight to catch rabbits with a dog. Also applies to foxes and rats. Some folk used to lamp hares too but the purists would say that they should only be run in the daytime. Of course, catching hares and foxes with dogs is now illegal, so nobody does it :hmm: . Lamping with a small lurcher is the ultimate in rabbit catching as far as I'm concerned, I just can't stay in on a good rough autumn night with a warm wind and a bit of drizzle!
:hatsoff:

satx78247 said:
Fwiw, George Bernard Shaw was CORRECT. The UK & the USA are, "2 countries separated by a common language."

I had to "google" LURCHER, as I've never heard that term used in the USA.
(The official State dog of Texas I would guess would "qualify" as a Lurcher, inasmuch as the Blue Lacy is a cross of greyhound, English shepherd & WOLF.)

The Blue Lacy was originally bred as a dog that was big, fast & tough enough to "handle rough stock". It was later discovered that they generally also excel at hunting hogs, trailing wounded game & some have been trained as narcotics detection or bomb dogs.

Note: The Catahoula Cur (also called The Catahoula Cattle-dog), the State dog of Louisiana, would likely also qualify as a Lurcher, as they are descended from a sighthound, French pointer & red wolf.
Catahoula Curs are believed to have been originally bred in the 17th Century by the Choctaw Indians in South LA & MS for hunting & herding/protecting their flocks.

yours, satx
Thanks satx :thumbsup:

You're WELCOME. - As I've said, I truly LIKE your hunting stories/photos from the UK.
(Btw, my Mother's family came to South Carolina Colony in the 1630s & most of them from Yorkshire.)

yours, satx

Fyi, "lamping"/"jacklighting" for ANY game is 100% unlawful in Texas, "- - - if deer or other game MAY be in that area. Persons using lights, while possessing weapons, between dusk & dawn is PRESUMED at law to be acting WITH SPECIFIC INTENT to hunt unlawfully."
(EMPHASIS: mine. = For all practical purposes, as game animals are everywhere in Texas, that means that "lamping" is ALWAYS illegal here, will get you arrested/jailed & your gun/car/truck/boat/hunting equipment confiscated.)

Game law violations here in Texas are nearly always punished with a heavy fine, often include a sentence to the county jail, loss of personal property & MAY be felonies under certain circumstances.
(Last year a man from DeWitt County was sentenced to 5 years to TDC for "jacklighting" five WT deer. He also lost everything that he possessed at the time that he was apprehended, including a 2013 Ford PU.)

Note: As he also possessed an unlicensed "suppressed" ("silenced") rifle "at that time & place", he may also be tried in federal court & sentenced to an additional 10 years for that felony crime.

yours, satx

That's very interesting satx,thankyou.

Lamping for most shootable mammals except deer is legal over here, and deer can be taken under licence.

As regards moderators/suppressors, virtually all hunting rimfire rifles over here wear them, and most hinting centrefires. Mine are all conditioned for target shooting as well now.

Another little wrinkle is that we can have .410 pistols (mine's very handy), which I understand are verboten over there?

satx78247 said:
Fyi, "lamping"/"jacklighting" for ANY game is 100% unlawful in Texas, "- - - if deer or other game MAY be in that area. Persons using lights, while possessing weapons, between dusk & dawn is PRESUMED at law to be acting WITH SPECIFIC INTENT to hunt unlawfully."
(EMPHASIS: mine. = For all practical purposes, as game animals are everywhere in Texas, that means that "lamping" is ALWAYS illegal here, will get you arrested/jailed & your gun/car/truck/boat/hunting equipment confiscated.)

Game law violations here in Texas are nearly always punished with a heavy fine, often include a sentence to the county jail, loss of personal property & MAY be felonies under certain circumstances.
(Last year a man from DeWitt County was sentenced to 5 years to TDC for "jacklighting" five WT deer. He also lost everything that he possessed at the time that he was apprehended, including a 2013 Ford PU.)

Note: As he also possessed an unlicensed "suppressed" ("silenced") rifle "at that time & place", he may also be tried in federal court & sentenced to an additional 10 years for that felony crime.

yours, satx

Bout the same here in AZ.

Ol buddys dad a game n fish detective, near 1980 he got a pair of the first ever night vision goggle n drove all over the woods bustin folks. One truck full of drunken "hunters" was so surprised when he "lite em up" after driving right up behind em one guy shot through the floor board, one ran, the driver tried to get away. Bout 10 er 12 violations and ya the truck, all the guns etc was at the next G&F auction. Poachin sux :nono:

Back