• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recieved lyman deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol_luke66

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What a disapointment. The trigger is the worst I've ever seen. It actually grinds when I pull it. The wood to metal fit is terrible and I can't get the wedge pin in. I called customer service and they said I can send it in and they'll take care of it but I don't know if I want to mess with it. I just can't believe that this type of workmanship made is out the door to the customer. So hears my question for ya, should I send it in and have customer service take care of it or send it back to midsouth and look into other options.
I've owned a cabela's hawken in the past and liked it so I'm thinking about getting the sporterized hawken the advantage is that I can drive a cabela's store and pick it out in person so no surprises. A friend has a t/c hawken and that's a great gun but as far as I know they don't make them in 54 cal anymore. So what do you think, any other guns you can recomend? I want a 54 cal that will handle prb's. and I would like to spend about $300.
It's things like this that could make a guy get a ml barrel for the contender or pick up some other in-line.

J/K.
Thanks Guys
Luke

The Lyman Great Plains through Midsouth isn't too much over $300, and as a kit it is only $270 or so. I know that it is a good gun.

Lyman makes no guns. They contract out their guns to Investarms. Or, at least they did in the past. I know some support them on this info exchange site, but I do not buy Lyman products. Over priced, over-hyped, poor quality. Contact me through private mail and I may let loose of a Investarms .50 carbine with a adjustable windage and elevation back sight. Chromed barrel, nice walnut, with double set triggers. I was thinking about taking it apart and selling it on e bay. The metal to wood fit is slightly sloppy. A Investarms trademark that bleeds into Lyman contract products. Whats up with them, Lyman, selling handles separate from their moulds. Another rip-off. :m2c:

Lonewolf,
I just registered for that forum but I couldn't log in yet. I was wondering if you might be able to give him my email and tell him I'm interested. [email protected]

Thanks,
Luke

Ol Luke, I would send it back...my Deerstalker, bought about 2 years ago, is a gem...great wood, well finished, trigger was a little stiff, and I cut a coil off the sear spring and lightened it...whatever they send you back might be as good as mine...Hank

Thanks for the input. Part of me wants to say this is just a fluke and get another because I really like the feel of the gun and the design but I think I'm going to get the t/c hawken kit and then order the 30" 54 cal barrel from fox ridge and maybe just sell the 50 cal barrel. How does that sound? Any opening bids?

Hunting season is getting close so if anyone has any suggestions send them my way.

Thanks, Luke

Before you buy a .50 caliber T/C Hawken kit, remember that a .50 caliber, Hawken barrel is 15/16" across the flats. A Hawken .54, and a .58 are 1 inch across the flats. The tang that comes with the .50 kit will be 15/16". I believe a 1" tang will come with a .54, or .58 from Fox Ridge, but I think you need the correct stock, either for a .50, 15/16"or .54/.58, for the 1' across the flats barrel/tang. Better check with Fox Ridge on this.

I have a Lyman .50 cal Trade Rifle and it has very good wood/metal fit, nicely finished walnut stock, and decent metal finish. Best of all, it is very accurate. - Mike

Back