• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armoredman

32 Cal
Reaction score
My sone got bit by the BP bug with his reworked cut down Kit Carson my great buddy rescued from a pawn shop find murdered by Bubba, into a work of art.
So, we were watching a video on flintlocks and he said he wouldn't mind having one for an occasional shooter. BIG caveat - he's a lefty. What beginners left handed flintlock would you recommend for a 22 year old pain in the patoot who loves his .54 caliber percussion lock rifle? Does such a think exist?
Thank you for your replies.

For someone who thinks he "wouldn't mind" having one for an occasional shooter...perhaps a decent quality commercial RH rifle might satisfy him at this point. So long as he doesn't let his right forearm get into the path of the ejecta that comes out of the flash hole...he can enjoy the "flintlock experience" without undue cost or wait time. I read comments from a number of LH shooters who seem to enjoy RH flint rifles just fine. One of my flintlock rifles is RH. I shoot it LH in some competitions and do quite well. There are a few LH Lyman flintlock rifles out there that come to market occasionally if he doesn't want to even try a RH. Otherwise...a custom LH rifle will need to be found. To answer your question..They do exist (I'm lefthanded and have a few myself) and sometimes one will come to market. If he's patient, which is not something 22 yr old's are known for...he might get lucky.
I'll just add a comment from my own experience. I've been enjoying BP shooting since the middle '70's. I started with a caplock and currently have a couple of caplock rifles. They haven't seen the light of day since I got my first flintlock. I'll add this: IMHO...proficiency with a flintlock is a lot like proficiency with a bow. It's not developed and maintained through "occasional" use.

Buy a side by side double and just shoot the opposite barrel? You do the same, that way you an both enjoy the same gun and not worry about the lock being on the wrong side.:dunno:

More details. The devil is is the details. ;) Caliber, budget, production or parts built, barrel length, LOP, etc.
He shoots 54 caliber now and I cast for it. Budget is dwindling due to the wife leaving her job this week, so this is academic for right now. But most likely something under $500. He likes the length of the Hawken barrel. What that is, I do not know. Most likely would be a commercially manufactured firearm. I lack most of the skills/tools to work on/build firearms like this.
For all - he likes and likes to shoot left handed guns. I love my son and would like to help him get what he wants.

Back