• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recycling modern shotgun barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahil925

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen this come up as off hand comments on various boards, but my search-fuu appears to be weak and I can't find any specific threads covering it.

Have any of you all recycled a modern shell firing shotgun barrel for any muzzleloading projects?

I've found a few places that sell shotgun barrel blanks, some unchambered, and figured they might work as a hand gonne or early matchlock barrel. Yet I haven't seen anyone post any projects using them, so I got to wonder if its even viable.

Thanks for your help and thoughts.

It is doable. Just make sure your breech is heavy enough to accept the breech plug threads and have safe wall thickness. :idunno:

Not yet, but I have a 16 ga. Iver-Johnson with a stock part missing that I want to turn into a m/l shotgun. Gotta get the right tap, have the breech, and lock. A friend that does more "precise metal work" (for his job) is going to help on the project. Where else can I get the barrel for $25?

Have built 2 ML shotguns from modern barrels. both 12 gauge, I cut the chambers to leave just 7/8" which I thread 7/8 - 14. Then I cut the choke off.

I have been able to use the fore arm lug to pin the stock fore arm.

They make a VERY lite gun! Hang on when you pull the trigger!

Back