• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Red fox double in the evening!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

Went out for roehunting this evening with my Deerhunter. At about 5:45 p.m. a fox was moving out of the forest on the snowy field, about 20 m away. Put my rifle and gave him a shot. He turned round and went into the forest. I reloaded and keep on sitting. 30 min later the next fox came out, about 10 m on my right side. Gave hin also a shot and he died in his tracks. I waited 15 more minutes expecting a roe, but nothing. So I searched for the first fox and find him 30 m from the place i hit him, dead!

So better being out and two foxes than nothing.
Unlucky no pics available. Cam still damaged.

My load was 3 bp pellets (each 33 grs), wad, PRB.
Foxes both get lounge shots.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I Have Never Had A Chance At A Fox Sounds
Like You Did Good. You'll Get The Deer Next
Time Out Good Luck :thumbsup:
---------------------------
Dan-L

Kirrmeister said:

Kirrmeister

Congrats on the double foxes. :thumbsup: You shot them with a buck and ball load in a rifle? I never have tried that. What caliber is your rifle?

PGTMG said:
Kirrmeister said:

Kirrmeister

Congrats on the double foxes. :thumbsup: You shot them with a buck and ball load in a rifle? I never have tried that. What caliber is your rifle?

Unless I am mistaken, he used pyrodex (or similar) pelletized propellant...

Congratulations Sir. :thumbsup:
Good shootin. :hatsoff:
Are you going to skin them out and tan the pelts?
I have seen some nice arrow quivers made with fox pelts.

Great hunt. What color are your foxes? I've seen both red and grey in Virginia.

Here in Germany no Pyrodex or other sub pellets available. I used Vectan bp- pellets. Only bp is the right thing.

Kirrmeister

The fox is named red fox, but there are variations in colour. We have the red fox with red fur, Kohlfuchs with a bdark red to black fur and the Birkfuchs with a real light red colour.

I don't skin and tan them because of the fox worm we have here. Too dangerous!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Wear rubber gloves. We have an issue with rabies and raccoons but I still skin them out and utilize the meat for food, thoroughly cooked like pork.

I had a large fluffy red fox run under my treestand while deer hunting with the shotgun once. It had a pheasant in it's mouth as it ran by. People asked why didn't I shoot. I told them I was deer hunting and didn't want to spook any deer in the area. Also, in Massachusetts, you cannot shoot any other game during the shotgun deer season except deer or coyote while deer hunting.

Vectan black powder pellets? That sounds interesting. In my area the substitutes are more common and real black powder is hard to find. It is due to the laws classifying it as an explosive and the added regulations and fees for the dealer.

Pork Chop said:

:redface: I do so love the oppertunity to impress others (worldwide) with my reading comprehension skills.

PGTMG said:
Pork Chop said:

:redface: I do so love the oppertunity to impress others (worldwide) with my reading comprehension skills.

No embarrassment here. I was not aware that real black powder was available in pellets, and down here in Florida most folks that shoot black powder refer to the propellants generically as black powder. So, I was half correct. It is a pelletized powder - it just happens to be real black, not a substitute.

I hope that you feel better now that you have tried to embarrass someone publicly! Unfortunately, it didn't work.

These bp pellets from Vectan are classified as ammo. So the storing must only be like ammo.But I don't know if you can get them in the USA.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Way to go Kirrmeister. Two fox in the same day, Iv'e never had the oppertunity for even one.

Back