• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Red Stain Color

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilded

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen some maple stocks that were stained a beautiful red that had no orange in it. Does anyone know what color stain that would be. Thanks, ET ::

We use a combination of a medium and dark brown to get the red (mahoganey) color on the rifles Matt builds. You can see the color at www.avsia.com/tvm. It is the 3rd from the bottom on the tripod.
Be glad to help you off list with the color.
Slash

You might try the LMF "Cherry" Stain. I bought some to try out and it is very red. There "maple" stain also has red in it, but also shows some orange and brown tones.

I use the Danglers Reddish Brown stain.. You can apply the reddish, or put the dark brown on first & then put the reddish on top of that.... Also being a alcohol based stain, it doen't raise the grain & you can work the stain in deeper by rubbing it with alcohol and 0000 steel wool, or wash it out with the same, mix it with the dark brown or whatever..... :results:

You can get both at Muzzleloader Builders Supply and at several other places.

I use two very old natural stains. Her names: GARANCE and
ALIZARINE. On powder, they work well with water or linseed oil ( huile de lin)
On my web site you can see the result on: Gallery - Lehigh.
http://belcounty.free.fr
You can buy it (it's cheaper) Etablissements LAVERDURE
www.laverdure.fr in PARIS FRANCE.
I think Eric Kettenburg use the same !
Good work.
Sans souci

Back