• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

References

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two good books are " Black Powder Handbook" by Lyman
And "The Complete Blackpowder Handbook" by Sam Fadala
Both of which you may find at Abe Books .com
They sell for about $12
They are great references, I've had mine twenty years + and still use them.
I do hope this helps.
Old Ford

If you are a beginner, i would suggest the book they send (or used to ) with each T/C rifle. It was kind of specific to that gun , but had good info to start with. If T/C still has the book they would be happy to send it to you. There is also a book put out by the NRA called "the Muzzleloading Rifle Handbook
published by the education and training division of the NRA in assoc. with NMLRA. Calling or E mailing either of these organizations might be a way to obtain this book. there are probably others, these two came to mind. Getting off to a safe start is always a good idea. Good luck. Hope the "bug" bit you as bad as it did me. Len

Here is a start...http://www.cherrytreefamily.com/muzzledixon.htm. Just Google "muzzleloading basics" or some such and you should get lots of info. Good luck! Emery

Go to Bob Spenser's Black Powder Notebook on line.
http://members.aye.net/~bspen/index.html

also:
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/

It is chock full of information on Black Powder shooting, with excellent information on loading and shooting any kind of BP gun.

I have to also recommend an older reference:

"The Muzzle-Loading Rifle,... Then and Now", by Walter M. Cline. This is available through the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Assciation, and was originally printed in 1942. Mr. Cline was an early President of the Association, and he supplied the long rifles used by Actor Gary Cooper in the 1941 movie, Sgt. York, the biographical story about Alvin York, who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in WWI, as a result of braving enemy fire to take out 2 machine gun nests that had his platoon pinned down, and his ultimate capture of 132 German officers and soldiers. Mr. Cline discusses that rifle in his book, with pictures. He also introduces some of the very early members of the NMLRA, their guns, gun making equipment, and details on the hows and whys of shooting black powder guns. You will come away with a true understanding of the men and women who kept this "sport " alive for about 100 years after these guns were " replaced" by cartridge guns, and feel the history of these guns and related equipment when you have read his book.

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly recommend anything written by Sam Fadala. These include the Lyman BP manuals and others. All of his books say basically the same thing. The 5th edition BP manual is the latest one I know of he's written.

HD

IMO between the Lyman Black Powder Handbook and this forum I think your source of answers to shooting a Black Powder gun is solved.

The Handbook not only has a lot of general information about muzzleloaders but it has a large table of loads that were tested in many different calibers and gun styles.

In the back of any Dixie Gun Works catalog is a wealth of information for the black powder shooter.

another vote for the dixie catalog. It is cheaper than most of the others and is full of information as well as items you just have to buy (so you think).

The NMLRA used to have a small book called "Muzzleloading--to begin with" by one of the oldtime championship shooters. It was well illustrated and VERY helpful. Don't know if you can still get it. Maybe through Bookfinder, if out of print. Good smoke, Ron

Black powder whitetails and powder horn bucks both by Dave Ehrig Quest productions. VHS tapes, I picked them up on Ebay and you will learn and fun to watch.
These are older, but NO IN LINES all sidelocks.

Dave Ehrig also has a book that is very good. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back