• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refinished my New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brdeano

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of stripping, and browning, the little Crockett .32 after BrownBear posted the pics of the one he redid. I had read about mixed results with Birchwood Casey Plum Brown and that is what I had on hand...Well, the barrel off of my New Englander 12ga would fit in the oven so heating it wasn't an issue, I decided to go ahead and try that one before messing with the longer Crockett barrel.

I stripped everything down this morning, got 2 coats of Brown on everything and just finished putting it back together. I didn't snap any before pics, but there are a couple of it on my squirrel thread in the hunting section. It looked just like any other blued New Englander.

I did learn a few things on this one, and have a few spots that aren't perfect. I learned that if you have any water spots on the barrel they get really dark when the Brown is applied. I also had some bluing remain in some little hard to get spots and the browning didn't take to well there either.

All in all, I am very happy with the way it turned out for a first time job and I do like the looks of it better than before. I hope the next one turns out better!!! After doing this one though I am going to place an order for some of the LMF Browning agent to negate the process of having to heat the metal parts up. I am still undecided on doing the Crockett barrel with the Plum Brown since I'd essentially have to heat it up with a torch since it won't fit in the oven. I don't know if I could get a consistent heat, and if I didn't, I don't know if the finish will be even? Just thought I'd share a few pics and if anyone is wanting to try it, it's not that hard off a project. Brad.

The lighting wasn't the greatest and it really has a nice deep color to it.

100_2096.jpg

100_2095.jpg

100_2098.jpg

100_2097.jpg

Brad did you do anything to the stock? I've got a T/C NE Shotgun also and was thinking of redoing the barrel and stock. Yours turned out very nice by the way.

Nice!!!! Now I gotta do the one I have. Sure looks better than the way T/C does them! Again...Nice!!!

Thanks guys. I haven't done anything at all to the stock. I'm considering refinishing it and maybe trying to go a little darker, I won't be doing anything for a month or so until we are done chasing rabbits and squirrel's though.

Brad, I don't know if you can remove your breech plug or not....but I found that when I have to heat a barrel with a torch, I remove the BP and suspend the barrel from an underlug and apply the torch heat up THROUGH the barrel at the breech end. It heats very quickly and uniformly that way, kinda like a chimney. Emery

Interesting idea on the breech plug MK.

Looks great Brad! I would consider a bigger oven, but that would mean new counters to make room, and I'm a little scared my wife would like the idea of a compleat kitchen remodel. Then forbid muzzleloaders in the oven!

It's too cold to do much else this weekend so I finished up the Crockett last night. I didn't do the lock since I wanted to see what it would look like, well...after seeing it together I have decided that I am going to strip it down and brown it also. I still need to pick up some brass screws to replace the blued screws. I am much happier with both of them compared to how they were originally!!!

Here is pic of the pair before/after, and then a few of the brass on the Crockett after aging it.

100_2024.jpg

100_2111.jpg

100_2118.jpg

100_2119.jpg

100_2120.jpg

Wow, that brass finish is just what I'm looking for. How did you do it? I know you mentioned it, but darned if I can find where.

Thanks!

BrownBear, I just mixed up some baking-soda and water until it was like a paste, slapped in on the brass and let it set over night. That is what it looked like in the morning after washing them off. The good thing is that if you don't like it, 30 seconds with a piece of steel wool and it looks like new. I had one piece that didn't look right so I just polished it back up and reappied the paste.

Back