• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reloading directly after firing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to shoot fast and don't like all the extra time it takes to wipe between shots when shooting a 50 shot range session...I normally use a lube that let's me shoot an entire session without wiping, and using premeasure charges in 35mm film canisters I'm pouring the next charge down the bore only seconds after setting the rifle down and leaning it against the bench.

The powder drop blows all the smoke out of the vent and with the rifle leaning against the bench for reloading it has a natural tilt away from vertical and my face/head is never over the muzzle when pouring the charge...never had a problem but I never trust that it can't happen.

Same reason I never put my head over the muzzle in a hunting or range shooting environment, ie: I never blow down a bore, look down a bore, etc when in either of those environments.

And on those occasions where I might be checking accuracy of a new load I'll patch wipe the bore each time and when doing this I'll admit to a hightened sense of safety.

Wipin' the barrel of my underhammer 36 is necessary after shootin' with real black powder. It is also necessary for me to choke up on the ramrod to keep from pushin' foulin' into the nipple. :(

Well.....I guess I'm lucky to be alive. :haha: I never wipe between shots and sometimes I even blow down the barrel. :shocked2:
26 years of shooting muzzleloaders and breakin all the rules. God must be watching out for me. :v

Hes lookin' out for me to I guess Mike. Iv often (for a historic feel during 'plinkin') loaded as FAST as I could. Now I dont peer down the bore, but I do still have all my fingers. When normal hunting I blow down the bore,,,as much to clear the vent as anything. With the thousands shooting blackpowder, I wonder how many cases there actually are of 'unwanted ingination'. I dont know of any.....now I HAVE always wanted to be shot out of a canon, directly into the Revenue office were I pay my property taxes, with a steel helmet on and a tomahawk in each hand.....

There was a report just last year I think about a fellow who blew his brains out blowing down a loaded rifle--why he was doing that I do not know--maybe a bad habit and inattention to the sequence during rapid firing? I have heard of other reports of iginition from sparks left in the barrel and damage done to the ramrod hand. I can assure you that it does happen with artillery often enough to make the no. 1&2 men on the crew REAL CAREFUL if they are smart. IMHO it is not wise to peer down a ML barrel while shooting--although I do it after cleaning. I have seen countless guys blow down the barrel after shooting--and if you are sure the shot went off, that should be safe enough to do, but never point the thing at yourself or others during or after loading! It is a fun hobby that can be dangerous and that aspect should be respected.

:rotf: Like I said before on several occasions, if a fella can't tell when his rifle has gone off or not, he best take up golfing instead of shooting these scary old dangerous antiquated rifles.

There was a fella in my shop just this summer with a thumb and forefinger and part of his palm missing. Through the course of conversation he related to me the incident that ruined his hand. He said he loaded just like the guys showed him to. Shoot then load then shoot then load. No swabbing or blowing down the barrel. When he was pushing the patched ball down thebore...the rifle fired. No cap, no priming. Cannons aint all that will cook off.

So why not just a short piece f rubber tubing. Stick one end in the barrel and other in the mouth. If anything happens yu just get wacked with a rubber hose instead of losing yur face.

Just a thought.

mike

Back