• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing finish from permanent brass parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Question, what is the best method of cleaning/removing the finish on permanently installed brass parts from a rifle.

I am nearing completion of my Chambers York Flintlock and need to remove the oil finish from the hunters star inlay on the cheek piece and the nose cap. What is the best way of cleaning these up? I can't remember how I did it on the other gun builds - since my last one was 3 years ago.

A little OOOO steal wool and a light touch will do it. I just use my finger and keep it off the wood. Works fine for me at least.

Back