• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing muzzleloader lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy3658

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a old muzzleloader from the 1860's I need to take the lock off to get it fixed.Can anyone tell me if I have pins in the lock and how many I can tell there is one pin at the end of the lock but the one in the middle not sure if it is a screw or a pin its not flat headed but it don't look like any screw head I ever seen .Thanks for any help.Tim

In every gun with which I am familiar, there is usually one and sometimes two bolts that run from the side opposite the lock into the lockplate. If you loosen these bolt(s), the lock will usually come right out but you may need to press on the heads of the bolts with your thumb or if gunk has collected around the edges of the lockplate, you may need to give them a tap with a soft mallet, the lock will usually pop loose and be able to be removed. Be sure to put the hammer on half cock before attempting to remove it.

Back