• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing Stripped Screw?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickman15

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was cleaning my .50 Kentucky and when I tried to remove the clean out / bolster screw, the damn thing stripped BAD! What would you suggest I use to remove the slotted screw? I know this is my own fault, I obviously tightened it way too much. I have been using the nipple for the hot water to come into the barrel and clean it and then using my air compressor and cotton cloths to dry it.

U mean the slot stripped out or the threads stripped ?

If the head slot stripped, cut it deeper with a hacksaw or cutoff blade on a dremmel, soak the screw 1-2 days with some Ballistol or penetrating oil, then heat the breech & back the screw out.

If it is stripped off inside & nothing to get a hold of, you will have to drill it out. I suggest a LH drill bit as lots of times they will back the screw right out. Retap to a standard thread & get a allen head set screw from Lowes to replace it.

When ya get it fixed, just barely snug it in & with a lil antiseize oin the threads in the Hole & on the screw. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back