• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

renegade barrel question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forconXXXXX

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,I"ve got a 54cal TC Renegade that needs the barrel replaced.I want a slow twist round ball barrel.I allready have a Lyman GPR with a 32" barrel and I like it but I want something shorter for the Renegade to use in the thick stuff.I was going to have Oregon barrel company make one but I called them and was told they quit making drop in barrels.TC will make a 30" 1-66 and Green mountains is 32".Anybody have any experience with TC slow twist accurracy wise.I know I shouldn"t let a couple of inches of barrel be an issue but I guess I"m just being picky.Any suggestions or opinions welcome.

Hi I had one of the

TC 1"in 66" twist roundball barrels on a TC Hawkin a few years ago and it shot very well
Samuel

Just curious if your .54 could be bored out to a .58? I've got a Big Boar in a 1:48" twist and it hits exactly where you aim it and I love that short barrel in the thick stuff.

i had Robert Hoyt rebore/rifle a .50cal Renegade to .58 with 1-90" twist and .006" deep rifling. he charged a whopping $110. it shoots great.

You could buy a barrel, cut it, recrown it, attache a rib, install breech plug, one underlug for key and you are there.

It's not as hard as it might seem and you will have exactly the length you want. Also, not that Orgeon will make a barrel at your desired length with a crown.

You can't go wrong with the TC RB barrel. I have a new 50 cal. RB barrel for my Hawken and it is a tack driver. Just make sure you specify that you Do Not Want the QLA counter bored muzzle when you order it.

Robert

Yea, those counter bored barrels may be nice for shooting "them new things" but they play he## with cutting a patch at the barrel.

forcon said:
Hello everyone,I"ve got a 54cal TC Renegade that needs the barrel replaced.I want a slow twist round ball barrel.I allready have a Lyman GPR with a 32" barrel and I like it but I want something shorter for the Renegade to use in the thick stuff.I was going to have Oregon barrel company make one but I called them and was told they quit making drop in barrels.TC will make a 30" 1-66 and Green mountains is 32".Anybody have any experience with TC slow twist accurracy wise.I know I shouldn"t let a couple of inches of barrel be an issue but I guess I"m just being picky.Any suggestions or opinions welcome.

I wish also I could find a short slow twist barrel for my old Renegade.54, it needs it bad.
I've been in contact with Tip Curtis in Cross Plains, TN on a GM 1:70 32" in a .54 cal. $218 shipped to my front door(best price I've found), and I'm about ready to pull the trigger with him. He has them in stock. PM me or email me and I will foward his info to you if your interested.

I have a .54 Renegade with a TC roundball barrel.I'm really pleased with it.The extra length seems to make it balance better off hand.

Seems to me that the best way to go is have Tip Curtis cut and re-crown the drop-in barrel to the length you want. You won't be able to buy a blank and do it any cheaper. TC barrels will probably be 28" on the shortest ones in 1" channel. I think the actual Renegade barrel is 26" but 1/48 twist isn't it? He probably won't charge all that much to do it. All that needs done is cut, crown, cut front sight and adjust the length of the rib and re-position the thimbles. Add another 100-125 tops and your in. Run it by him and see what he says. I would be pretty sure Track of the wolf would do it if he won't. Can't see any way to do it cheaper.

I just picked up a new 28" long 1/28 twist GM flinter drop-in for $230 to roll into my PA Hunter TC stock.

Walks with fire said:
...I think the actual Renegade barrel is 26" but 1/48 twist isn't it?...

TC offered a 30" 1:66 as well as the 26" 1:48 for the 54 Renegades (they're listed in the older TC catalogs).

Well I decided to follow 451's advice and get my Renegade barrel bored out to 58 cal.I"m gonna ship it out tommorrow and in a couple months I"ll have a rifle with a 27 inch barrel that should be the ultimate woods gun.Thanks for all the responses.

Does anyone have contact info for Mr. Hoyt. I have a Renegade in 50 cal that I wouldn't mind rebarreling to .58 cal.

Curly,Robert Hoyt's # is 717-642-6696.He told me it might be a while before he could get to it but I"m not in a big hurry.

Back