• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

repair broken hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a LRML Rigby English Sporting Rifle with the spur of the hammer broken off.

I have fitted a new replacement hammer that was made from a mold taken from another original Rigby. After about 8 heat and bending sessions I got it to fit like it should and will get it engraved.

My questions is welding a new spur on the original hammer. I am assuming TIG welding will be the ticket, and I know welding cast has some issues. Anyone out there that has done a repair like this?

I would like to salvage the original hammer if I can. Hate not to use it, but I am still going forward with the new replacement, just in case....

thanks

Fleener

give Westerbeck a shout.. He's retiring from the high school, but is teaching welding a such at JCCC here in Overland Park..

[email protected] is what I think his new addy is?? < will check at home to verify > although, he is off to Georgia for a while to visit his oldest and family there..

Respect Always
etalshaper/Jonathan
aka Dag

Tig welding cast steel is no problem.
I can't do it because I'm booked for life.

I've successfully welded several pistol hammer spurs back on. I think I used my MIG but it's been ten years ago or so.
I'd use the TIG now though.
The trouble I have is not welding often so as to keep proficient at it. I generally have to make up a trial piece of approximately the same size and material and give it a few trial runs before committing to the actual piece which you wouldn't have to do is you stay sharp through continual use. Mike D.

I have a question. If this gun was made before 1864, couldn't the hammer be forged? I know modern hammers are cast steel. I just wondered how long ago they cast steel. I am sure someone will know.

cast iron was around in the 1700's, perhaps earlier. Due to the granular fracture of the break, I am very certain it is cast.

I have the replacement hammer fitted and it is at the machine shop to get the channels cut on the back side to accept the half cock safety on the lock.

Fleener

I can see you are correct about it being cast iron, but some were talking about cast steel. Sure is a beautiful gun. Very tight engraving, or maybe cast in decoration?

It might be forged, but I think it is cast....but not 100% sure yet.

The engraving is hand cut.

Fleener

I have seen some old original ones that were repaired by silver soldering a new piece on with a butt joint.

You almost don’t see the joint unless I point it out and tell you to look at it.

William Alexander

I have a buddy that has his PhD and specializes in metals and failure analysis. I showed him my broken hammer and he can not tell if it is cast or forged just by looking at it.

the granular structure of the break does not indicate one way or the other.

Fleener

Hello everybody from Barcelona-Catalonia.
Maybe somebody are thinking -were's Catalonia?-
Easy, is in Europe, between Spain and France ;)
I found this forum on muzzleloading weapon repair very interesting, and please I would like to speak with you about a question.
Recently i bought a Husqvarna swedish rifle from 1850. As you will see in pictures is lovely but have just one little problem in the percutor hammer, have a litle broken piece at the end. Unfortenatelly I can't find anyone in my country who dares to weld a small piece of metal to make it look like new without the added metal being noticeable. So I'm starting to think about loctite metal epoxy. What you think?
Any help or support in this subject will be great. Thank you very much in any case.
Greetings and best wishes from Barcelona.

Attachments

• hd_item_3737594_3a38aee8e4.jpg
    hd_item_3737594_3a38aee8e4.jpg
    87.5 KB
  • hd_item_3737594_6f4620fd5c.jpg
    hd_item_3737594_6f4620fd5c.jpg
    90.1 KB
  • hd_item_3737594_50f16f3c4d.jpg
    hd_item_3737594_50f16f3c4d.jpg
    96.7 KB
  • hd_item_3737594_3917d9116d.jpg
    hd_item_3737594_3917d9116d.jpg
    96.2 KB
  • hd_item_3737594_e1373beb32.jpg
    hd_item_3737594_e1373beb32.jpg
    137.4 KB
  • part final martell-hd_item_3737594_e1373beb32.jpg
    part final martell-hd_item_3737594_e1373beb32.jpg
    4.4 KB
  • primer pla de la peça.jpg
    primer pla de la peça.jpg
    174.5 KB
Is the broken piece at the front of the hammer? If so we dont have a good picture of what is missing.

In my opinion, anything short of welding will not last.

It also might be that I would not do anything to repair it.

Can you find a replacement hammer?

My rifle in this thread, I found a replacement hammer for it that was cast from an identical hammer. I also got the old one fixed and you can not tell the repair. I use the replacement hammer not the repaired hammer for this rifle.

Fleener

Is the broken piece at the front of the hammer? If so we dont have a good picture of what is missing.

In my opinion, anything short of welding will not last.

It also might be that I would not do anything to repair it.

Can you find a replacement hammer?

My rifle in this thread, I found a replacement hammer for it that was cast from an identical hammer. I also got the old one fixed and you can not tell the repair. I use the replacement hammer not the repaired hammer for this rifle.

Fleener
First Fleener thanks for your faster answer. I'm still waiting that the rifle come to me, maybe until the next week, then I will show you more pictures that I'm telling you.
The broken part is in the end of the hammer, just in the final neck, just in the place when you firing the hammer picks to the piston.
Yes I'm triying to find the same hammer for replace it, nothing for the moment. It's not usual like the english tower or the americans from the civil war. Anyway I don't want a shot with this rifle is just for exposition. ;)

Latest posts

Back