• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repair rifling?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thought occurs to me that if you were to replace the cylinder and reline the barrel it might present an opportunity to line the barrel and bore it to standard .44 caliber dimensions (.429” with .003” grooves) then line the chambers as well and line bore the chambers to .436”. After all of that you would be able to use .440” round ball in your Centaure Unicorn!

Thanks, guys. I'm not set on keeping it, but looking at my options and feeling it all out. Thanks for the data on rusty chambers being a source of chain fires. I believe this gun was fired for a long time with a horrendous cylinder/barrel gap of over .025", which lead to the cylinder arbor bore being eroded on the muzzle end. The cylinder has no play on the breech end, but does on the muzzle side.

I don't know if the seller is a black powder guy or not, but doubt he is. I'll think about it and maybe post a link to the auction.

He relented, but says he won't refund shipping costs. I need to research this some more. I've heard Gun Broker buyer support is pretty crappy. Any advice would be welcome!

Here's GB's buyer protection policy: Buyer's Protection Program

E-bay's policy is different, as they have no deductible - and actually forced a seller to give me a full refund after I complained.

Back