• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

repairing a crack in an old cast iron pot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went online and checked the African pots. They do not have the same profile and are much heavier ( Thicker Metal ) I was hoping to find one close to my old pot so I could switch pots. They did not look close enough for me. I have a very small African Pot around a quarter the size of this one. It is good for cooking up meals for one or two. I wanted a larger pot for cooking up Jaeger Haggis when I am cooking for a crowd.

Jaeger Haggis
5 pounds of Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage
3 large apples cut up in one inch chunks
3 large onions diced up
1 dozen large brown eggs
1 pound of Cheese
1 tablespoon of Cinnamon

Pre Lube is Sausage and Apples
For one, 1/2 pound of Sausage, 1/2 apple a sprinkle of Cinnamon

OK, As it is a wee crack I took my pot to Cowpens Battlefield where I was doing a historical program.
I cooked Sausage, Apples and Onions for breakfast Saturday and Sunday mornings. As the crack is small it caused no major leakage but I would not want to cook four pounds of bacon in it. That could be exciting! This pot was great to cook in perhaps with more seasoning cooked in there will be no crack. It is going to Friendship in my cooking gear.
:v

That's n'aght a Haggis! Haggis is made with all sorts of disgusting soft parts of sheep or deer, all chopped up fine into chum, and with oats and whiskey added..., boiled in a sheep's stomach...and in preparation of consumption (this is key) one needs to down about a pint of single malt whiskey. (After that, anything could be consumed by the eater) :haha:

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
That's n'aght a Haggis! Haggis is made with all sorts of disgusting soft parts of sheep or deer, all chopped up fine into chum, and with oats and whiskey added..., boiled in a sheep's stomach...and in preparation of consumption (this is key) one needs to down about a pint of single malt whiskey. (After that, anything could be consumed by the eater) :haha:

LD
Disgusting???? Nay - Delicious!!!!

I am not a welder, but have repaired a couple of cast items with my little stick welder. A steam fitter friend at work showed me how to do it and gave me a few welding rods. Now mind you, the items I repaired were quite a bit thicker than your pot. The fitter said to weld a very short bead, maybe 1/4", and then let the piece cool. Then repeat as necessary. Is this the best way? I dunno, but it worked for me. The best way would probably be to slowly heat the entire pot up to high temp, then braze or weld the crack, then slowly let the pot cool down, like covered in a large bucket of ashes. Good luck!

Time for an update on my old pot! Since my last post on the old pot, I have cooked 12 meals in it.
The "seasoning" has closed up the crack. The last thing I cooked was two pounds of bacon. The level of bacon grease was over the crack and there was no bacon grease leaking into the fire. I pronounce my old pot cured ( so to speak ).
:grin:

Back