• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacement nipples for Colt 1860?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need some advise. I just purchased a Colt 2nd gen 1860 Army.It has been shot some by previous owner(but not abused)and as I was breaking her down for a cleaning after I got her home. I am of the opinion that I should replace the nipples as some look slightly "mushroomed"I want blued ones to match the Colts finish. What is the best kind to get and where can I get them? I have no idea where to look? Please advise...anyone? Thanks. :hmm:

Most of the aftermarket nipples are either stainless steel which does not take bluing or made of a special very hard bronze called Ampco which also does not take bluing.

There are a few nipples that are made from regular hardened steel which have a black appearance.
These nipples usually wear out faster than the previously mentioned stainless or Ampco nipples.

Check out the nipples at Track of the Wolf
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/807/1

Be aware that nipples not only come with different materials and thread sizes but they come in several different sizes.

The largest is a Musket nipple, made for use with Musket caps like those used in the Civil War.

The smaller rifle nipples use the same #10 or #11 caps as the pistol nipples but they are longer from their shoulder to the top of the cone.
These will screw into a Cap & Ball cylinder but they are too long to work correctly.

Then there is the pistol nipples which are shorter than the rifle nipples.
These are made for the Cap & Ball pistols. (Single shot muzzleloading pistols use the longer rifle size nipples).

Then, there are a few special size nipples made for pistols made by some small companies and those made for underhammer rifles.
Unless you have one of these guns, don't buy these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure the nipples you buy are for your particular make of pistol. There are many different lengths of nipples and vary by maker. A nipple that fits an Uberti may not work in a Pietta even though the thread may be the same.

Back