• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

replica blackpowder use in flintlocks ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pecos clay

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear other views on this.
I'd like to to buy a flinter, the only powders around here Pyrodex and maybe Triple 7.
Has anybody had any luck getting this stuff to work in their flintlocks?
Can this stuff be used as a main charge only?
Will it work at all in the priming pan?
Thanks in advance, Clayton

I have heard of people using Pyrodex in their flintlocks. I never have...

They tell me you can "IF" you use a little FFFFg down the barrel first.
Reduce the main charge by the amount of FFFFg you use.
EXAMPLE: 100 grain main charge would use 10 grains FFFFg & 90 grains Pyrodex.

I have never done this, however, it would seem like extra work just to use the Pyrodex...

Maybe someone else can give you a more deffinate example.

Yeah, that is what I'll try to do. There's a distributor in this state, I guess I could contact them and find out about where and how.
I was curious and I thought I'd ask this question before I start hunting for the real thing.
Most gun shops in my area hasn't had real blackpowder in years, something about insurance and storage. I bet it's a real pain for flintlock folks.
I'll check it out.
Thanks, Clayton

Claude
Thanks for the link. I'll check them out. I've been kinda wanting to buy a flinter to maybe rekindle an old spark I used to have with muzzleloaders. I've been out of it for a while, a new rifle may be what I need to get that old fire going again.
I'd like to lay in a good supply of powder and ordering in bulk seems like a good idea. I didn't know I could order like that.
Thank you, Clayton

Pecos Clay
My luck with Pyrodex and flinters is bad. Pyrodex has a higher inginition point and for a main charge is very hard to ingnite, if it will go off at all.
Just got the computer working again good to see the page has been busy.
No Powder

Thanks, No Powder
I sort of thought it someone might have tried it and it worked for them.
I'm kind of checking out my resource possibilities before I make a plunge into a new flintlock rifle. I've shot percussions mostly and was hopeing to ease into a flinter.
Thanks again, Clayton

Pecosclay,
try rhondezvous for black powder,that's what they all sell in MO.
your humble front stuffer lover,
zark

Lots of guys are having that problem, getting black powder. I know it's late, but I had read about putting a little black powder down the barrel, then the pyrodex. when i asked the pyrodex folk, however, they said stick to black powder for flintlocks. graybeard

Chris Hodgdon sent me some 777 to try out in my flintlocks when it first came out. By itself it went off kinda slow. Went off, just slow. If I poured about 5 grs of 4f down 1st and then the 777 it went off just fine.
Not real handy but if you have a flinter , you have the 4f and if "synthetic" is all you have , you can make it work. BTW it was very clean shooting.

If you want to order some blackpowder you can order as little as 5 lbs. from Graf & Sons. I believe they stock Goex. If you want Elephant, Swiss or Schuetzen you can order from Maine powder house www.mainepowderhouse.com I don't know the link offhand for Graf & Sons as I don't use Goex.

Duplex loads, which are the ones where you use small amounts of blackpowder and the remainder of the charge of pyrodex in MHO too much trouble to fool with. The reasoning behind this is irregardless of how you go about it, when dealing with flintlocks you still need to have blackpowder on hand even if just for priming or the small charge before the pyrodex is added. So if that is the case, why not just use blackpowder in the first place? Also pyrodex is more corrosive than blackpowder is and if not attended to meticulously it can trash your barrel in short order.

Biggest problem with Black Powder through the mail is cost of "Hazmat" shipping charges. Best if you and a couple pals get together and order a case at a time....most suppliers will mix 2f/3f/4f. Dont know shipping prices, but I cause I drive to get mine at Gamalielshootingsupply.com

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI...I had a case of Goex delivered last year for $220...that's 8.80/lb delivered to my door.
Check with:
"Bonnie"
Goex Master Distributor
J&J PyroTechnics
RR3, Box 3367G, Moscow, PA, 18444
(PH=570-842-3658)

She'll mix 2F/3F/4F in a case

Back