• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replica cap & ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumbeaux

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This may have been well discussed before....but, which of the "modern" replicas is the best quality....looking at the Navy .36 caliber....thank you...

rick

I would say either get a Colt or Uberti. The Uberti isn't all marked up like a Pietta with warnings and proof marks. They are much more clean in that sense. Fit and finish is great also. If you can afford the Colt, I would go for that. :thumbsup:

If you consider the 1970's to be modern I would have to say a Colt 2nd gen. Not to be confused with a signature series. As far as "currently produced" I don't have a clue. I have been very unlucky with the last few Uberties I got.
I still have my '60 Army 2nd gen from 1977 and nothing has compared. I still hope to stumble onto one of those '51's.
While the 2nd gens did start out Uberti the finished product is far superior.
But thats just my opinion

Scott

I would buy a Cimerron Uberti Remington. I currently have one and fit and finish is outstanding. They take a Uberti and go through it with a fine tooth comb, cleaning up the finish and fit, then they go through the action. They extend the warranty out to 2 years.

Another vote for the Colt 2nd generation (not the "signature series") and for Uberti. Expect to pay for the Colt.

Another one to look for may be a Western Arms-Santa Fe. They were pre-Cimaron Uberties but of good quality. Bought one from the owner of the company, I think his last name was Allen. He was selling them off a blanket at a blackpowder shoot in the Llano city park.

Scott

Please explain the difference between the 2nd generation Colts and the signature series....

rick

Coot....what can you tell me about the signature series ? Thanks to Wild Willy and you I got a great education on the 2nd Gen Colts. Leaning toward a Cimarron Uberti....are they really hand tuned from standard Uberti's ? Would love a 2nd Gen Colt but so far they are $750 and up...thank y'all so much...

rick

Another vote for 2nd Generation Colt's. Been shooting and collecting them since the early 1970's when they came out. Cimarron Ubertis are also very nice.

Have had quite a few Signature Series Colts pass through my hands and have examined many of them.

Signature Series Colts were made under license from Colt well after the 2nd Generations were discontinued. They were finished in New York.

In general the Signature Series were not on a par with the 2nd Generation Colts as far as fit and finish. I have had and seen some very nice ones but most were not as well done as 2nd Gens. The serial numbers on some models are too large in comparison to 1800's and 2nd Gen. Colts.

An acquaintance drilled thru the back strap and trigger guard on a Signature Series revolver with silver colored strap/guard. He hit a silver colored metal all the way through the back strap rather than brass.

To find a good price on a 2nd Generation Colt suggest you frequent some gun shows if you have not already done so. Recently saw a near new condition early 2nd Gen. 1851 Navy sell for $450 at a local gun show.

And it is a personal taste thing, too, but the '61 Navies are slightly better than the '51 Navies. I like that creeping loading lever. '61 Navy - Best. Looking. Pistol. EVER.

Robert pretty well summed it up. The 2nd gen Colts are likely the best and the most expensive out there. With all of the info available on the internet, it is getting hard to find a seller who does not know what he has but they are still out there. Hopefully you will get lucky if you look enough. My 2nd gen Colt Navies were not cheap when I bought them years ago but are worth a lot more now.

Back