• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replicating original percussion nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millsman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Help please.

I have some original percussion rifles and would like to have some replacement nipples made (sort of overdue already) both standard and platinum lined.Before I start contacting all the dealers on the web I hope that somebody already knows where I should go.
Open to suggestions as I would like to keep the original threads and in two cases use the nipple wrenches that came with the rifles.

Thanks

Getting replacements shouldn't be too much of a problem. The first thing you will need to do is find out the proper thread size, and how good the threads are in the drum. That being said, both Track, and MBS stock most sizes. If they are originals and american made the sizes are pretty straight forward. A good gunshop/smith should be able to size it for you, and check for good threads in the drum. Being originals, and if not production guns, you might run into varying sizes though. Nut, and bolt supply houses have sizing guages to help you. Walk in and ask, before carrying in a whole gun, or barrel though :winking:. Bill

Will have to see a local machine shop to borrow a thresd guage and hope that some current size will equal what was being used in Phildelphia by J Jacobs in the 1860s and Alexander Henry in Scotland about the same time.I can then save the originals for thenext owner but continue to shoot for my enjoyment

YOu can take the nipples with you to a machine shop, to check the tread sizes. I would buy an internal thread gauge set and take them home to check the internal threads. A visual inspection will give you a pretty good idea of their condition. BAsically, you are looking for threads tha have the same shape, height, and angles as appears on the thread gauge. If you find a common thread, with common pitch, and bottom shape( diamond, or square bottom and topped ), you should be able to give that same information over the phone to people at TOTW, or Dixie and order replacement nippes of the correct size and shape. If not, the machine shops in your area can make you them for a price. Those platinum lined nipples will take special stock, which may cost you more than they are worth to make. A well equipped, modern machine shop can make the nipples for you from a copy, or from the original. I would examine the originals interior dimensions, and compare them to a new nipple to see if you don't want to use the modnern sizes of holes instead of whatever the original nipples display. They may be worn, or burned out! And that would explain why the gun has been sitting on someone's gun rack or over a fireplace for all those years.

For the long range rifle you can get a platinum lined nipple from Joe Hepworth who is the owner of J Cunnard Co.(http://www.jcunard.com/). The cost is in excess of $50 each but well worth the money if you have that kind of rifle.
Pete

Back