• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reproduction barrels for Springfield 1855 or 1863 rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaga

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello, I have been shooting colonial-style muzzleloaders since 1979, but haven't really paid much attention to the Civil War-era firearms. Well now my boys got me interested in the Springfield 1855 and 1863 rifles, and I would like to make a reproduction for them to have.

I see that DGW has a $600 kit, but I don't want to go that route. I do a lot of woodworking and would like to make my own stock, having worked on multiple kits already. I do see many of the needed parts on DGW, but don't know if that's a complete list of what I would need.

My question is simply - is anyone manufacturing these reproduction barrels for the Springfields? .58 caliber and 40"?

I have searched the internet but see nothing, which surprises me, given all the enthusiasm for CW re-enactment. Where are the gunsmiths, like Zimmerman, getting their barrels?

Thanks for any leads!

Thank you - I appreciate the lead! $350 for a barrel is indeed pricey (barrel + shipping). Are there other manufacturers out there?

Hoyt but he is probably in that price range as well. Having said that they are both well worth the coin. I had a Whitacre barrel on an 1855 and boy could it shoot. Whitacre makes the barrels to the same specs as the originals, progressive depth rifling and a 1:72 twist I believe it is. If you think you want to shoot minie balls out of it I would defiantly go with one of those 2 barrels

Back