• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Request help identifying modern Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rV754O.jpg

Yep - it's a flintlock...

Are you looking for maker, style, other?

Hey BH,

It's a Ron Brimer made rifle from 2012.

I posted this originally in 2015. I came back several days ago and noticed my pics were no longer feeding through, or whatever the correct tech term is, and so I reposted the pics. Earlier in the thread several agreed it's in the style of a Lancaster County PA long rifle of the middle 1700s to 1770s - - Colonial America. I appreciate you taking a look.

Last edited:
No stamps or marks showing on the barrel?

The lock appears to be a Siler Golden Age L-3 (Jim Chambers) but with something going on at the frizzen pivot screw.

The initials RB are inscribed on the left flat of the barrel at the breech. It's a Ron Brimer rifle. He made it around 2012 I come to find out, not 2014. Ron originally made it for his daughter then another gentleman, a friend of Ron's, owned the rifle. I'm the third owner.

Yeah, it looks like a decorative, aesthetic piece might have become unscrewed and fallen off. The nut you see has two flats, so it's on securely.

The initials RB are inscribed on the left flat of the barrel at the breech. It's a Ron Brimer rifle. He made it around 2012 I come to find out, not 2014. Ron originally made it for his daughter then another gentleman, a friend of Ron's, owned the rifle. I'm the third owner.

Yeah, it looks like a decorative, aesthetic piece might have become unscrewed and fallen off. The nut you see has two flats, so it's on securely.
Do you know Ronnie Brimer? I used to work with him at Georgia Public Television. I worked in procurement and Ronnie worked in the art department with Johnny Johnson. I knew that Ronnie made period flintlocks as he brought a couple in that he was working on. He's the one who worked on my 1911 pistol. When I first read the post, I thought of Ronnie Brimer when I saw the initials. Do you have his e-mail address? I would like to talk with Ronnie again and see if he still makes flintlocks. Small world, huh?

Lovely rifle, early Lancaster style. Well found and you will have a lot of fun with it. I reckon those early style rifles hand much faster and feel better than the much later styles with the crescent but plates.

Do you know Ronnie Brimer? I used to work with him at Georgia Public Television. I worked in procurement and Ronnie worked in the art department with Johnny Johnson. I knew that Ronnie made period flintlocks as he brought a couple in that he was working on. He's the one who worked on my 1911 pistol. When I first read the post, I thought of Ronnie Brimer when I saw the initials. Do you have his e-mail address? I would like to talk with Ronnie again and see if he still makes flintlocks. Small world, huh?

Hey, Rusty,

Wow, it's a small world indeed. I have never met the gentleman, but I would like to. He was also a member of the Waco Wild Bunch from Waco, Georgia - a Cowboy/Old West reenactment group. But no, I do not have his email address. I have seen other of his work on contemporaryMakers.Blogspot.com.

I bought this Lancaster .50 caliber of his at Deercreek Gunshop in Marietta, GA back in 2014. I just had the rifle out again today for its second outing in four years. I've yet to dial it in good. I need to experiment with patch thicknesses and patch lube.

Unfortunately, Bridgers Best patches -- when they get old, they get sticky like paste and I wasn't prepared for that, so my groups were pretty bad at about 40 yards or so even on a bench. I'm planning to take it out again April 20th. I'll be more prepared then. Glad to make your acquaintance.

Yep, you're right about the Waco, Georgia Wild Bunch. I went with Ronnie one weekend to do the cowboy shoot and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ronnie sure made some fantastic flintlock rifles. I had asked him to build me a rifle, but when he told me how much he charged, I said "never mind"! The guy Ronnie Brimer worked with was Johnny Johnson. If I remember right he, too, was a member of the Wild Bunch. Wow, it's been a long time since I have visited Marietta. My dad lives in McDonough, GA, and I've got to get down there to see him soon. He's 93 now. Glad to make your acquaintance, too. I know you will enjoy that rifle once you get it dialed in. I'll visit the contemporaryMakers.Blogspot.com and see if I can contact Ronnie there. Thanks for the link.

Greetings from Kennesaw, GA
I took the Lancaster .50 caliber smoke pole out yesterday and dialed it in from the bench at 35 yards. I put three rounds down range and got the 'triangular' shape you see. I put another three down range and keyholed pretty much the apex of the triangle. I'm fine with the elevation issue since this long rifle is likely zeroed at between 60 and 75 yards. The windage may just need a rear sight adjustment of about 1 mm. I'll make that adjustment for my next outing and post again.

Attachments

• 2019-04-27-Lancaster-Dial-In-sm.png
    2019-04-27-Lancaster-Dial-In-sm.png
    456.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Wow! That's a pretty nice group with a Ronnie Brimer flintlock. Another outing and you probably will have it dialed in. If I remember correctly, Ronnie had it shooting at the 75 yard line and dialed in at that distance. Happy muzzle loading and burn some powder!

Wow! That's a pretty nice group with a Ronnie Brimer flintlock. Another outing and you probably will have it dialed in. If I remember correctly, Ronnie had it shooting at the 75 yard line and dialed in at that distance. Happy muzzle loading and burn some powder!
Thank you so much, Rusty. I'm glad you replied to the post. I'm very proud of this Brimer flintlock and if it keeps making me look good, will become my most treasured rock lock possession. Thank you and take good care, sir.

Back