• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rescued T/CHawkin .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Found a somewhat tattered T/C .50 in a pawn shop last friday on a trip to the big town. Trader dropped off $30.00 and it was into my price range. Had enough left for a burger and gas to make it home. Sloppy stock work, very worn bore, messy browning. But she feels like a good one.
Checking for safety issues and maybe an old charge in barrel this morning. Then to the back yard to run a few balls through her and make a redo plan.

Might have to replace/rebore that barrel, but it sounds like a fun project nonetheless. I've got a couple of "rescues" in my rack, too. My original plan was to keep them for loaners, which is their job. But they're still fun to shoot, so I give them a little exercise now and then, too.

Lots of talk here and elsewhere about an outfit called J&S if I recall correctly. And Rayle does reboring, too. Check the gun building section and there are a couple of threads there with more specifics.

There is a gunsmith with a very good reputation named Jim Dubell at Delta Gun shop in Colvill, Washington. He might be able to do that. (509) 684-5855. If you get ahold of him, let us know how it goes. I had in mind to have the grooves on my .50 T/C Hawken regrooved deeper. Good luck.

to all above. ended up selling .50 barrel as a project barrel to a guy. Perfect for what he needed. I found a .50 smoothy marked Thompson Center in perfect shape. Did not know they made one. For now it is resting in gun rack waiting for who knows what.

Hmmmph. I haven' heard of one either. They made a 56 caliber smoothie, though. Any chance you mistook the "6" for a "0"?

Either way, it should be a dandy.

ladOregon said:
to all above. ended up selling .50 barrel as a project barrel to a guy. Perfect for what he needed. I found a .50 smoothy marked Thompson Center in perfect shape. Did not know they made one. For now it is resting in gun rack waiting for who knows what.

Massachusetts was a smooth bore only state for muzzleloaders a long was back. My brother has a TC.54 smooth bore.

Bob

It is marked with just a .50 cal. no SB designation. I checked it all over and miked the bore at .495 with my machinest mic. The barrel is crowned like my .56 SB (Smooth Bore) with a good chamfer to help start the ball. Interesting barrel. Will give T/C a call next week to see if anyone will talk about the serial number and the like with me. It is in super shape so will be a fun one. Just a hint of blueing on it. I only got the under rib and front sight with it nothing else.

Back