• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Restocking and Older CVA Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptaska

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have acquired an older CVA Hawken "Made in the U.S.A". The forend of the original stock was broken and glued back together. Overall, the quality of the stock was awful from the get-go. I think the barrel and hardware are actually of good quality, so I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to replace the stock. I am not a craftsman, so carving one out of a blank is out of the question. Do any of the stock suppliers you might be familiar with have stocks that fit the older CVA rifles?

Deer Creek Products in Waldren, IN has most any CVA part ya might need. don't think they have a website but, address is 698 E. Michigan Rd. Waldren IN 46182
phone # 1-765-525-6181

luck & have a good'en, bubba.

Yup, Deer Creek will have what you need call'm.
If it say's "Made in USA" on the barrel you probably have the Mountain Rifle.
No other CVA has that stamped on the barrel

Yup, sounds like a CVA Mountain rifle. Probably the best rifle they ever put out. Well worth fixing up. Are the hardware pewter rather than brass and the endcap flat on the end rather than rounded?

I agree they were by far and away the best of the traditional CVA rifles. :idunno: Does it look like this one I restored for a friend?

Howdy Moonman 76--the end cap appears to be pewter and is flat.
Howdy Ohio Ramrod-- looks just like that photo 'cept yours is way prettier!
Bubba.50--Thanks for the lead on the CVA parts supplier.
Gentlemen All--this has been very helpful. Thank you!

I'm always glad to see the old CVA rifles reworked and put back in service. They'e had a long history of doing the job. glad to see another one's going to get a face lift and be back in the field! :wink: :thumbsup:

If it looks like Ohio Ramrods, I also believe it is a CVA Mountain Rifle.

Does it have a silver patchbox and silver wedge ovals? Also a browned steel triggerguard and buttplate?

If so, it is a Mountain Rifle, which some say was the best shooter CVA made, and a few more say the best factory shooter made.

I bought a CVA mountain rifle that needed a bit of work. It has a 2-screw patch-box, and the only markings on the barrel are for calibre and "black powder only". I'm assuming it's a Spanish-made model. I had to do some sanding on the stock and re-finish it, but I really like it, heavy but very nice (the ramrod that came with it is stainless steel, I'm looking for a wood one).
Looks like Ohio's except it has a browned barrel.
CVA1.jpg

CVA2.jpg

Thanks Rusty, just double-checked, it says "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc" below that "Black Powder only 45 cal". That's all, no other markings.

Must be older than I thought, in which case the bore is in surprisingly good condition.

Why is it that there's always someone ready to burst my bubble? Thanks Zonie! :haha:

How close to the breech would they be? This barrel has been re-breeched, and has had about 2" taken off at the breech end, judging by the dovetails for the underbarrel lugs.

Ok, nothing there then. However, I've been doing a bit more researching, and it appears that, with the exception of the first prototype rifle (and possibly a couple of others) all the Mountain Rifle barrels are Spanish made and not all of them had proof marks. Some seem to think that the kit rifles weren't marked? (This was obviously a kit gun, the woodwork needed a lot of re-finishing).

Doesn't really matter, even though I've only shot it a few times, there's something about this rifle that I really like :grin: .

I believe it would have been illegal for a Spanish company to export a finished rifle barrel out of Spain without it being proofed.

I suppose they could have exported just the barrel without the breech plug though.
As with the guns made in India, a barrel incapable of firing can get around the export laws.

You're probably right, but I guess we'll never know for sure. This business of CVA Mtn. Rifle barrels seems to cause a bit of confusion.

Still a nice-looking rifle, though.

Zonie said:
I believe it would have been illegal for a Spanish company to export a finished rifle barrel out of Spain without it being proofed.
Your right,
They made just the barrel,, then installed the breech plug an drum state side.
They bypassed the law/rule that way,, all the Spaniards shipped where pipes with machined insides.
Thus,, "Made in USA"

So, if they made (and assembled) the rifle in Spain it would have to be proofed for shipping, which would explain the rifles with Made in Spain stamped on them. If the barrels were shipped "bare", for use in kits, then no markings on them, which would explain why some don't have proof marks.

Does that make sense? (Seems like too simple an answer :haha: ).

I have one too in .54 ,it would seem that a lot came here as kits ,mine does not have the patch box though ,at present Iam planning a major redo . :)

Latest posts

Back