• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Restocking and Older CVA Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be a nice little project, phil. As for the patchbox, I suppose they look the part but, being a target shooter I never use one (gives me something to polish, I guess).

The patchbox is brass and the butt plate and trigger guard are browned steel. The barrel wedge plates look as though they were silver plated, but the plating has worn away--possibly due to handling. Screws are steel. I gave Deer Creek Products a call re: a new stock. The young lady that I talked to was pleasant and helpful and knew what she was talking about. They won't be carving any stocks for Mountain Rifles until early next year, but she took my name and number. What a nice person! I'll refinish the old stock for some good practice.

Something to be aware of when purchasing an older Mountain Rifle stock.

As much as the CVA Mountain Rifle has a reputation as CVA's best traditional ML and it's known accuracy, the stocks did/do have a design flaw that affect almost all of the older stocks.

The milled mortises for all the component's in the lock/trigger/breech area took out a lot of wood, after years of stock drying and years worth of taking the parts in/out for cleaning and over tightening the screws,, the wood under the trigger get's compressed so much that the trigger rides too high in it's mortise. That condition put's the trigger cams too high and they press against the locks sear arm,, all of a sudden there's a problem bring the gun to full cock unless the trigger's are "set".
It's an easy fix with either a shim or bedding under the front of the trigger.
It's just something you should know about with that rifle.

Got it...I will watch for that. My 32 cal. Tennessee does exactly that, too. I learn so much from y'all. Thank you.

Back