• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Results of prb in Pedersoli sxs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulab said:
It will be a miracle if you get both barrels ever shoot to point of aim. They are almost certainly not "regulated". Double rifle or shotgun barrels shoot up and away from each other. Just having them soldered parallel to each other isn't good enough. Your barrels may shoot left high and the right low [or vice versa], they may shoot across each other or away from each other. Even when regulated, it will be for a very specific charge, ball weight and distance. The Brits made a real science of regulating barrels. You have to unsolder, tweak the barrels in the desired direction, resolder, repeat etc. etc. cheers Paul

Yes sir. That is why mine is used as a combi.

I did once steer two barrels for shot but never tried ball in it. That was via filing the muzzles.

B :thumbsup:

Ray, yesterday I tried ball in my trade gun and I would not like to be a fox or deer this side of 40yds!
Just fibre wads wet with olive oil. Two thin linen patches greased with candlewax x oliveoil and a .570" ball in a .629"bore! 90grn fff.

B.

I'm not finished by any means.I never tried any lubed cushion wads with the .715 ball,only hard nitro card, and I'm also wondering if I may need to back off of powder charge a little.I was using approx.90 gr Goex and approx.70gr of Triple7.I say approx. because I'm using a 1 and 1/4 oz shot measure that I use for powder and shot when duck hunting.Will powder charge have an effect upon accuracy?

My aiming method may have been off also.I just need to get back at it and try it again.It sure is fun though.

Powder charge can and often does make a difference.
Without checking my Peder' double uses 70grn 3fff in my left barrel. Not too strong but plenty....I took a rabbit with it at forty once! I dont know how many times it would do that but doubt it would be often!
I know once a bsrrel gets crusty it is game over!
Consider buying a box of shells to salvage the fibre wads for testing with!.

B.

I may lighten up the powder charge some and try lubed felt wads next.Thanks for the help Britsmoothy.

Ray
I get about the same accuracy with felt wad over powder and ball in my flinter but better with my Navy arms sxs with a tightly patched ball.You'll just have to try different methods.You are about right on with my aiming method it is more of a point than an aim.Practice like in archery improves things.I can pretty much call my shots now sort of like someone else posted :hatsoff:

I've only shot the balls one day so I really can't judge anything by that.I will try pointing over aiming next time and see what happens.Also,several people have mentioned a more open choke.I may have to break down and buy another choke if all else fails.I've already got 1-extra full,2-full,2-mod,and 2-IC.I've spent a ton of money on the gun,wads,shot,powder,balls,nipples,powder measures,extra chokes,and other odds and ends.Just what I need is another expensive hobby.I already spend money on bass fishing,archery,deer hunting ,duck hunting,and now my Pedersoli sxs.But it's all good.I'm having a blast with this gun.I'm just like a kid with a brand new toy.LOL

Unless I missed it in a post above, I think you should make a set of shooting sticks. I have a couple of sets and have used them while hunting as well as at the range. And with handguns and rifles. If you use them enough, you will get some very good groups. As with eeryhing, you jujst need to practice.

I can't comment on your chokes, other than on my 870. I use either a CYL. or the rifles choke for slugs. Thats an idea, can you look around for a choke tube that is rifled with the same thread dimensions?

I do need to practice.I've never heard of shooting sticks.I assume they are crossed sticks planted in the ground and you rest the gun on the sticks.Sounds like it would be a good way to check the grouping of the gun.I haven't been able to try it again yet.I'm only going to buy more chokes as a last resort.I'm using IC chokes and they aren't much smaller than open chokes.The .690 balls fit fine with a .020 patch and the .715 ball fits perfectly in the choke and I'm hoping that with overpowder wads and a card over the ball,it will shoot well.I may be able to shoot some next week.I just hate to spend more money on chokes for only a couple of hog hunts a year with this gun.I think I can make this work.

Good point on the shooting sticks. That would steady the gun and yet allow for recoil without smashing your shoulder as a bench rest does with a shotgun. :thumbsup:

Just remember to rest a gloved hand rather than the gun. In my experience resting the gun will shoot to a higher POA than pure offhand stance if you have good shooting form.BJH

I tried it again today.The results were somewhat better.For one thing I got closer.All shots were about 32 yards.I still used the IC chokes.With the .715 ball I dropped powder charge to 60gr Triple7.I was using 70gr.I then placed a wool felt wad behind the nitro card.I tried aiming a little different too.Instead of aiming right down the barrel,I pointed more like I would a flying duck and kept my head up more.This helped with the low misses.I still wasn't as accurate as I would like but at least my shots were on the paper.Last time alot of shots missed the paper completely.The .690 prb was much better.I used 60gr of Triple7 and a .015 lubed patch.My last shot missed the bullseye by only an inch.I still have work to do but I would feel confident using a .690 ball in my right barrel for hogs.Thanks for all the comments and advice.

Not very traditional, but I got pretty good results out of my Pedersoli with .690 balls in a Winchester waa12r plastic wad over 60gr of pyrodex RS. They were kind of hard to cram down the barrels so I did put natural lube 1000 on the outside of the wads for a little help. My gun has the screw in chokes and I used the improved cylinder and modified.

If this suggestion was made, I missed it so here goes. When developing loads for this gun, do one barrel at a time. Just work with the one until you have a load that you can shoot accurately every time.
Once that is settled, then move on to the second barrel.

I haven't really tried one barrel at a time yet.I do know that my right barrel shot decent with less powder.I started out with 90gr BP and 80gr 777.I think that was too much.

The waa12r is a Winchester one piece plastic wad. I chose that particular wad only because they were sitting out on my shotshell reloading bench at the time, and I am guessing the choice of wad is not critical. I put the round ball in the shotcup and then shoved the whole thing down the bore. It was all tight enough that nothing further was needed to hold the ball in place. It was a pain to get them started in my gun. I have the screw in chokes and the chokes inside diameter is just a little bigger than bore size which leaves a slight lip where the chokes meet the bore. Had to beat on a short starter a bit to get the wads past the lip and I remember thinking I was probably wrecking the wads, but they shot just fine.

Latest posts

Back