• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Retro Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is a refinish rather than a build, so moderators, if it belongs somewhere else, fire away.

In the meantime I thought it was a worthwhile post since most people feel like I do: The glossy bluing and lacquer finish on the Traditions Crockett are awful!

I wasn't smart enough to take a before picture, so I copied one. The others are an assemblage of views and details. Each is greatly reduced from the original 35mb files, so if anyone has questions about details I can enlarge sections as needed and time allows. I have a really slow dialup connection, and out of respect for others with the same affliction, I've combined photos and kept them small.

crockettallview.jpg

I stripped off the heavy stock finish rather than sanding, then stained using dark walnut Watco Danish. I can provide more details if people need it. Downside is that the original finish was so thick it left the butt plate slightly proud to the stock. The original stock was much lighter than the market pics. A side benefit of stripping and staining was the discovery of lots of figure in the stock that was completely invisible in the original.

Refinish was with Tung Oil finish, and I've got to say after 40+ years of using boiled linseed or TruOil, I finally found a better answer.

I draw filed the barrel and sanded the other blued parts before browning with LMF. Lesson learned (this is my first refinish with brown) was to get every speck of bluing off. Due to crevices and things, next time I'm going to strip first with naval jelly then draw file. On the up side, the Crockett had sharp edges on the flats, but the flats themselves were rounded. Draw filing flattened things nicely while removing the stampings. I did leave the proof marks.

detail.jpg

Blued screws holding the butt plate, toe plate and trigger guard were replaced with brass. As a personal touch I cut the rings on the entry pipe and the two rod pipes.

I make no claims this little guy shoots better now, but I sure feel better packing it. What do you think? Ten dollars and a few hours work seem pretty well invested to me.

Looks really good I wish they had a iron mounted version.May redo mine after I finnish my Hawken.Hey I put a solid brass ram rod in mine.

Looks real nice Brown Bear. My son refinshed his Crockett a couple months ago for the same reason. We browned the metal, stripped, stained and oiled the stock. It looks much like yours now.

That is way cool !

Good for you.

I have seen a bunch of folks tweak their GPR's.

But this is the first time I have seen somebody put the Davy into their Crockett :bow:

That looks very nice!!! As soon as I stop chasing squirrels I am going to do the same. Good job, it sure looks better than as issued.

Very,very nice...handsome rifle. :thumbsup:

What is that ram rod? copper? very sexy.

Just tweek that one wedge escutheon screw a little to the left so it's lined up with the other

sorry...I'm just fussy that way :redface:

Ha!

I forgot to point out that ramrod. It's the original anodized aluminum version, and it didn't look too awful against the original finish. But against my new finish, it looks absolutely pink. I'll be replacing that with hickory ASAP, thank you very much!

As for the screws, evidently Traditions installed the hardware before final shaping of the stock. Whatever the explantion, they and the escuchions were ground down flush with the wood. leaving almost no slots in the screws at all. I couldn't find small enough local replacements, but they're going to be gone sooner or later. I'm not bothered by their alignment, but will keep your point in mind on the new ones. After the time invested in making things look better, a little extra twist of the wrist isn't too much to ask for.

Thanks!

Thats the way I likem!

Brown iron, and satin to dull stock! I cannot stand a glossy finish on a rifle. The last one I did was too glossy, and I knocked it down with steel wool.I hit it with Johnson paste wax and bang! Perfect!

Nice job!

I am currently redoing a cva Kentucky, which I will set on fire, as part of my distressing plan!

.....and the picture thing,for those of us with dial-up....
Thank You!

nice job on the gun by the way! its pleasing to the eye.

Back