• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Review of a Pedersoli 1763/66 Charleville Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anywhere I can get a correct button style rammer instead of the trumpet style rammer?

The ramrod for your pattern musket is a trumpeted pattern tipped rod. The front barrel band opening is designed to accommodate the swell of the rod tip. A button style rammer tip could be used however your front band will not be as secure due to its shape and angle of the lip.

This is the rod you want for your gun, it should be an exact fit with minor issues.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...79+Ramrod+for+Reproduction+Charleville+Musket

Is this the gun that he asked about buying for $1200 and was advised that was way too much but he bought it anyway. The lock doesn't work right, he wants a new stock, and the ramrod is the wrong one for the gun. Not sure where he bought it but boy oh boy. Good luck.

Is this the gun that he asked about buying for $1200 and was advised that was way too much but he bought it anyway. The lock doesn't work right, he wants a new stock, and the ramrod is the wrong one for the gun. Not sure where he bought it but boy oh boy. Good luck.
Not sure why you think $1200 is too much, Pedersoli muskets are like $1500+. Stock is fine I was just asking how much a walnut stock would cost. I could get the ramrod to fit if I just filed it some. Yes, the lock needs some work, that's fine.

The ramrod for your pattern musket is a trumpeted pattern tipped rod. The front barrel band opening is designed to accommodate the swell of the rod tip. A button style rammer tip could be used however your front band will not be as secure due to its shape and angle of the lip.

This is the rod you want for your gun, it should be an exact fit with minor issues.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...79+Ramrod+for+Reproduction+Charleville+Musket
The front barrel band seems pretty secure to me, or did you mean to say the ramrod won't be as secure?

I really don't care but your own words are what I am going by. If I had paid $1200 for that I would have returned it. It's your money so enjoy it.
I will, I just said that because Wiscoaster told me I shouldn't have it defarbed and I pointed out that mine doesn't look as nice as his.

I will, I just said that because Wiscoaster told me I shouldn't have it defarbed and I pointed out that mine doesn't look as nice as his.
Well, for full disclosure, I did pay a bit more for mine - it was NIB; still had factory lube - and I still ended up cleaning the lock, polishing all the metal and doing some minor refinishing of the stock. It's just what I do:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/charleville-first-shoot.180732/

If you think you got a fair deal then that's the main thing. Do what you need to do to get the gun looking and running the way you want and then just enjoy it.

I wouldn't want to defarb it solely because it's a Miroku. That fact gives it an intrinsic value that a Pedersoli doesn't have simply because they're not making it any more --- a value regardless of any other differences in configuration, function or quality. So that's a feature to be preserved and should gain value over time.

Last edited:
Well, for full disclosure, I did pay a bit more for mine - it was NIB; still had factory lube - and I still ended up cleaning the lock, polishing all the metal and doing some minor refinishing of the stock. It's just what I do:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/charleville-first-shoot.180732/

If you think you got a fair deal then that's the main thing. Do what you need to do to get the gun looking and running the way you want and then just enjoy it.

I wouldn't want to defarb it solely because it's a Miroku. That fact gives it an intrinsic value that a Pedersoli doesn't have simply because they're not making it any more --- a value regardless of any other differences in configuration, function or quality. So that's a feature to be preserved and should gain value over time.
I payed $1481.62 after shipping and tax, plus like $9 something for the money order.

..... Be happy with your gun. Do little things one at a time and soon you’ll be happy with it
Isn't that exactly the same as what I said? He blocked me so he has no idea what I said. That guy has got an ax to grind. I don't even know what it is.

Watch out for guys that block other people, and who encourage other members to block. They haven't got the big picture because they're missing out on half the dialogue.

It's members like that who discourage other members from trying to be helpful and so interfere with one of the main missions of this forum.

Last edited:
Do as I do and block that guy. Be happy with your gun. Do little things one at a time and soon you’ll be happy with it
Isn't that exactly the same as what I said? He blocked me so he has no idea what I said. That guy has got an ax to grind. I don't even know what it is.

Watch out for guys that block other people, and who encourage other members to block. They haven't got the big picture because they're missing out on half the dialogue.

It's members like that who discourage other members from trying to be helpful and so interfere with one of the main missions of this forum.

I don't regret buying it, still cheaper than Pedersoli 1766 kit. I'll get the lock fixed, get a new ramrod, sell my current one, refinish the stock, or maybe get it defarbed at some point.

I don't regret buying it, still cheaper than Pedersoli 1766 kit. I'll get the lock fixed, get a new ramrod, sell my current one, refinish the stock, or maybe get it defarbed at some point.

I wouldn’t . Your 1763 / 66 by Miroku is a fine musket and can be made into one that performs extremely well.

The Pedersoli 1766 is a completely different gun, while they appear similar they are not. The. Pedersoli 1763 weighs almost 12 lbs, the barrel and stock alone weigh 8 1/2 lbs, the lock weights 1 1/4 lbs the hardware and screws and rammer adds another 3-3 1/2 lbs. with the bayonet the gun weighs over 13lbs.

The Miroku charleville is not a perfect reproduction with much of that being in the stock and a few minor details in the hardware. The barrel is pretty close, just a little larger. Stock shape on an original 1766 was more slick, had a longer butt with a heavier cross section.

How would the buyer have known the rammer is the wrong kind ?

And the lock doesn’t need major work, by this point the gun was manufactured between 1979-1995 and its likely 30-40 years old, most will have to be tunned by this point.

$1,200 - $1,500 is the going price for these nowadays, they’re not always available for under $1,000, the price is high but fair.

Keep standing on that hill expert.

I wouldn’t . Your 1763 / 66 by Miroku is a fine musket and can be made into one that performs extremely well.

The Pedersoli 1766 is a completely different gun, while they appear similar they are not. The. Pedersoli 1763 weighs almost 12 lbs, the barrel and stock alone weigh 8 1/2 lbs, the lock weights 1 1/4 lbs the hardware and screws and rammer adds another 3-3 1/2 lbs. with the bayonet the gun weighs over 13lbs.

The Miroku charleville is not a perfect reproduction with much of that being in the stock and a few minor details in the hardware. The barrel is pretty close, just a little larger. Stock shape on an original 1766 was more slick, had a longer butt with a heavier cross section.
You wouldn't what?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back