• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revisiting hardtack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make a modified hardtack using sourdough discard, whole wheat flour, salt and enough water to form a stiff ball. Roll it to about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. Use a pizza cutter to cut into squares then use a fork or stick to poke holes in each square. Let the sourdough work for 30 minutes or so. Bake at 350 for 1 hour then flip the squares over and bake for 1 more hour.

These are hard and last over a year if kept dry. The can barely be eaten unsoaked, at least when fresh. But they work best when broken into small crumbles and soaked. I like them in tomato soup or tea.

View attachment 357157

Put some "ship's biscuits" together. Used the recipe from Max Miller's YouTube channel. Not much of a recipe really. Stone ground whole wheat and water. Portioned each biscuit with 6 ounces of dough. Finished product ended up being about 4 ounces which means a daily ration of 4 biscuits. Gave it two 2 bakes. 1st was 300 degrees at 3 hours; Second bake 200 degrees for 2 hours. Color of finished product is due more to the whole wheat rather than the baking time. These things are rock hard. they "ping" when you knock them together. May function as an alternative to steel targets.

Those look good AND the recipe may be used to make "reactive" biodegradable targets for the range. Very nice for an event and better than clay pigeons in my opinion.

My understanding is that one does not eat hardtack as a "cracker" they beat the snot out of it, turned it back into a powdery/crumbly consistency and used it in liquids such as broth (thickening) , coffee etc. and maybe even fried with it. I read where men would fry it in bacon grease. Most of my readings were land based and not so much sea going
I'm not an expert, but I thought they usually soaked it in something to soften it rather than trying to nibble on a rock. I suppose bacon grease would work the same way, but if you can have bacon then why are you eating hard tack? People ate it unprepared for sure. I just assume that after a few weeks of living on it as the only staple you are going to do anything you can to make it less unpleasant.

Well guys as much as I LOVE Max Miller, in his video on Hardtack he goofed, and most of the ACW reenactors goof too, when they make this.
He used Bob's Red Mill whole wheat flour. Here is what he missed...,

BOB's WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR.jpg

Folks, Hard Red Wheat, was introduced into the United States in 1874. It came out of Russia with the Moravians, and as such was NOT used for the 18th nor first half of the 19th century for Hard Tack or Ship's biscuit. Further, Mr. Miller kneads the dough for a 15 minutes 😦 YET he quoted a source that had the flour becoming dough and then unbaked ships biscuits and then into the oven, all in one minute.

So the hard wheat has a LOT more protein than the soft white wheat that they used back then. When you knead hard red wheat for that long period of time, you develop the protein into strings, so you are actually making it harder.

IF you really want to make proper ships biscuit, you need to use what we today call Soft Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, which is made from white wheat. AND you need to simulate the grade of flour which was called "ship's stuff" and was the lowest grade, and had a good deal of bran with it. When made with that flour, without kneading, and some bran, you get a hard cracker that can be chewed upon to be consumed, something that is shown in early journals.

By the ACW the quality of the flour was better but it was still what we today call Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, and they may have mistakenly kneaded the flour for a long time, thus it was harder than it should have been or needed to be.

Earlier in this thread you can find a recipe for ships biscuit with whole wheat pastry flour that yields the hard cracker but can be gnawed upon and consumed without soaking. I have a test batch in an airtight, see through container, and the stuff is 24 months old as of Tuesday... no mold so still good.

LD

... no mold so still good.
"Good" being a relative word in relation to mold.

I have online conversations all the time about creating delicious things using the culinary arts to make and eat. This is like a competition to create the most inedible, non-poisonous "food" possible. 🤣

Back