• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathias

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, some time ago i bought a cap and ball revolver and now i have some questions regarding it, so my hope is that there is some folkes out there whit kowledge.
The barrel is octagon 7,6 inc long (meassured from the end of the cylinder) about 1 inch from the frame on top of barrel there is written E.WHITNEY
N.HAVEN
Front sight is round and made of brass.
No markings of caliber, but my meassuremen sugests it to be .36 cal (The cylinder is somewhere around .375)
Brass triggerguard
Number 5117

What i really would like to know is when it was made, or what timeframe it was used.
And yes i know i should have picatures of it but i forgot the camera in my uniform so that will hawe to wait
Best regards
math

It sounds like a Civil War era US Navy pistol. I understand the US Navy begain using the Whitney as they were less expensive than the Colt. I do not know what, if any Mil. markings they would have to indecate US Navy use.

P

Its a "Navy Model" .36 caliber Whitney... one of the standard CW revolvers. I don't believe they were made after the war but I've never looked into that. Most were sold privately although the Navy purchased some as did the Army. "Navy Model" is strictly a reference to the caliber - it has relatively little to do with the service. Like the M1851 "Navy" Col, many more of which were purchased by the Army.

-----the heavy clothing the soldiers wore in the civil war were a little heavy for a 36 cal revolver to shoot through-----

The Whitney family was involved in making guns for years. The company made some of the Flintlock 1798 Contract Rifles thru the era of lever action guns.

It was the Whitney company that made the first Colt Walkers because Colt didn't have a manufacturing plant in 1848.

Yes, it is the same family that invented the Cotton gin.

Your E WHITNEY N HAVEN sounds like the Whitney Navy, manufactured in the late 1850's to the early 1860's.

"FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS" has quite an extensive write up about both the Whitney company and your pistol. The following information comes from that book:

The normal barrel length was 7 1/2 inches. Other lengths from 4" to 8" are known and are more valuable.

There were two basic models and the serial numbers started with 1 for each of them.
It was "the first practical solid frame revolver...", beating the Remington by several years. (Remington didn't start producing the "1858 until 1862).

Over half of the production was sold to the U.S. Military. Guns so sold will have Military acceptance stamps on them.

The first model (type 1,2 &3) can be recognized by the junction between the grip and the frame.
The upper area where the wooden grip meets the frame is going straight up in a straight line forming a square juncture.
The top strap of the frame is very thin.
The First Model, First Type has no loading lever.
The First Model, Second Type has a loading lever.
About 300 First Model Whitney Navys were made.
In 2008 this pistol in 'fine' condition was worth up to $4,000.

The Second Model's grip meets the frame with a radius rather than the straight grip.
The Second Model came in 6 different "types".

The first type had a heaver frame, brass trigger guard and cylinder pin secured with a wing nut.
One safety notch on rear of cylinder.
Barrel marking was "E.WHITNEY/N.HAVEN"
S/N 1-1200

The second type same as first but 6 safety notches on rear of cylinder.
S/N 1200-13,000

The third type had the ball type loading lever latch changed to the Colt wedge type.
S/N 13,000-15,000

The forth type changed the roll engraving scene and the marking to "WHITNEYVILLE"
S/N 15,000-25,000

The fifth type enlarged the trigger guard.
S/N 25,000-29,000.

The Second Model Whitney pistols in 2008 ranged up to $2,000 in 'fine' condition.

As a side note, the Whitney was the model that Spiller & Burr used as a basis for the pistol they made for the Confederate army using a brass frame instead of the Whitneys steel frame.

An Italian reproduction of the Whitney Navy was offered for many years. I believe it is no longer in production but the existance of these reproductions creates the possibility that Whitneys on the market may be faked.

I am not saying the Whitney that we are talking about in this topic is a fake but folks should know about the possibility.

Thanks for for all the information.
Little more discriptions the cylinder has 6 security notches but if there ever was any engraving on it it is long gone, the loading leaver is relesed from the frame by turnig a "pin" 180 degrees and it holds in place under the barrel by a ball that colapses into the rod and locks in a notch that is dovetailed in the barrel.
The triggerguard is a very small one.
How did the newmade replicas look like ?
Thanks agin for the help, i will add some picatures sone
Math

I believe replicas are all metric thread (being made in Italy). Originals will have imperial threaded screws.

A little OT, are second generation Colts metric or imperially threaded? I heard they are imperially threaded to be as close to original as possible.

Here's some not very good photos of my reproduction Whitney and my Spiller & Burr

WHITNEY-02.jpg

WHITNEY-01-011.jpg

Oddly the Whitney, which is a later version than yours doesn't have even one safety notch in the cylinder.

Hi finaly got my hands on a camera so here are some picatures as you can see theh bluing are gone. Plaese let me kow what you think
Regards Math

Whitney1-1.jpg

P5050005.jpg
P5050011.jpg

P5050010.jpg

P5050007.jpg

P5050017.jpg

P5050013.jpg

Nice gun in very nice condition. :)

I'm sure you've heard it before but do not be tempted to reblue your gun.

Its value is far greater in its present condition than it will be if you apply any sort of bluing to the steel parts.

Thanks for the kind words i thought i did good but i was a bit unsure.
I will leave it as it is and not mess whit it.
I am very tempted to shoot it atleast once after a gunsmith checked it what do you guys think is that a bad idea, i know there will never bee any more originals... But it would bee great fun :grin:
Math

well wheter it was wise or not now have i test fired and WOW i could almost feel the history slipping away. My first two shoots went over my intended target but after i adjusted my hold i managed to get the other 4 shoots into a plam sized grop i was shooting at 30m so i think it went preaty good
Math

Way to go! It's all about knowing where your piece hits at the different ranges and adjusting accordingly, as you are discovering. Lots of fun... :thumbsup:

That's a beautiful piece, and I'm glad you have shot it. You feel a connection to history - as long as it's safe - that really makes it a special experience.

It's interesting to think that the revolver is likely to fetch enough to buy a fine new custom longrifle or fowler.... nah, I still wouldn't sell it, unless forced by circumstances.

(Gee, we'll see what happens when my kids are college-age. :shake: They better be brilliant or really good with a ball! :( )

Enjoy that piece. Every time you look at it, I'm sure you must wonder who carried it ~150 years ago... that's part of the fun.

Back