• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Sling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Price

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had my 54 GPR for about 25 years now and am contemplating installing the items necessary to use a sling. Most of the time, while hunting, I carry the rifle - but there are times while walking out or in that a sling would be nice. I've resisted this notion for a long time because I haven't seen slings on non military arms for the most part. I'm a traditionalist and prefer to stay "period correct".........is this too "anal rententive" ???

I am sure there are slings available that don't look too military in nature. I say that you should do what makes hunting more enjoyable to you, and don't worry about pleasing some "purist" without a face and name. If your objective is to be completely "period correct" then that is one thing. I suspect that you just like to go hunting and have a good time with your ML.
I have a sling on my flintlock.
Being "correct" is a noble venture, if that is what makes you tick. It isn't a law, thank goodness.

TraderVic said:
I've had my 54 GPR for about 25 years now and am contemplating installing the items necessary to use a sling. Most of the time, while hunting, I carry the rifle - but there are times while walking out or in that a sling would be nice. I've resisted this notion for a long time because I haven't seen slings on non military arms for the most part. I'm a traditionalist and prefer to stay "period correct".........is this too "anal rententive" ???

There are slip on slings that wont harm the wood and you can keep it in your pack/pocket untill you want it on. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_100_351
the "unversal rifle sling" is one of MY favorites!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a traditionalist and prefer to stay "period correct".........is this too "anal rententive" ???

Personally I don't like the idea of sling on an ml unless it is a musket to which it is appropriate. I'm not even a "traditionalist" in terms of my overall hunt rig, etc. They get in the way when hunting, add to the weight of the firearm and put the gun in the wrong place when it's needed fast. How often have you seen a pheasant, quail or grouse hunter hunting with their shotgun slung over their shoulder?

OTOH, I'm kinda opinionated. :redface: In the end it probably don;t make a bit of diff. :)

Cabelas also has a traditional sling that you can use without drilling in to the stock or anything.

There is evidence of slings being used on MLs in the past and not all have been shown to be of military usage, if you want you can set up a traditional type sling set up with parts from TOW and others.

Hey Marmotslayer

Here's one guy that is a definite convert to slings on upland guns. I never gave a thought to using slings on shotguns until a few years ago, but now I find it hard to hunt without one. It's about the best third hand you can have when scanning the far hillsides for birds with binoculars, watering the dog, or picking burrs out of their fur. I always hated putting my gun down and finding scratches or dings when I picked it up. A sling can make it easier walking back after dark or holding another guys gun while crossing fences, etc. I agree with you about them being non-traditional, but I too am not all that traditional in the PC sense. I'd have to agree with you on them getting in the way, but it's really not that often in my experience, though I'm typically hunting fairly open terrain, not super thick grouse hotspots. I'd also have to agree with you there!!

Just my $0.02

Here's one on my T/C New Englander

Dave

davechuckar.jpg

I've mounted slings on GPRs in several ways. In one I used a clamp-on stud base intended to fit on the tube of lever action rifles. I just clamped it onto one of the ramrod pipes and used a sling with a loop on the other end, which fit over the butt and clasped the stock right behind the trigger guard. I can restore the GPR to original by unclamping that stud.

More recently I've been using one of these. I really like it more than the first system. If your front sight is more or less standard height, you can even see over the barrel strap and still shoot.

In reality though, my slings stay in my bag while I'm hunting, and I only mount them for long hikes or bringing out game.

great picture of your huntin' area...good lookin' dogs too! :thumbsup:

I sling my .50 renagade ,it was my Dad's ,he left it to me.

BrownBear said:
I've mounted slings on GPRs in several ways. In one I used a clamp-on stud base intended to fit on the tube of lever action rifles. I just clamped it onto one of the ramrod pipes and used a sling with a loop on the other end, which fit over the butt and clasped the stock right behind the trigger guard. I can restore the GPR to original by unclamping that stud.

More recently I've been using one of thesehttp://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...tId=1&subId=6&styleId=26&partNum=SLING-UNIV-Jhttp://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...tId=1&subId=6&styleId=26&partNum=SLING-UNIV-Jhttp://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...tId=1&subId=6&styleId=26&partNum=SLING-UNIV-J. I really like it more than the first system. If your front sight is more or less standard height, you can even see over the barrel strap and still shoot.

In reality though, my slings stay in my bag while I'm hunting, and I only mount them for long hikes or bringing out game.

My personal favorite too!

Wattsy said:
BrownBear said:

More recently I've been using one of thesehttp://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...tId=1&subId=6&styleId=26&partNum=SLING-UNIV-Jhttp://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...tId=1&subId=6&styleId=26&partNum=SLING-UNIV-Jhttp://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...tId=1&subId=6&styleId=26&partNum=SLING-UNIV-J. I really like it more than the first system. If your front sight is more or less standard height, you can even see over the barrel strap and still shoot.

My personal favorite too!

Me too... :thumbsup:

Dave, what a great pic of your hunt country with hunter and dogs! It really captures what the day was like.

I'm not very trad either. My opinions stem from my style of hunting deer and elk in the rockies. I stick to cover and move slow or call. A slung gun in that situation is like trying to drive a nail with the hammer in the tool belt. :)

If my style was hiking to a stand before light, sitting and then hiking out at the end of the hunt, I might sling it.

I originally set up all my half stock Hawken style rifles with slings as a carryover from bow hunting up in tree stands, to get up and down the tree with the ML easily, but then I started using natural ground blinds and no longer had that particular need. BUT I agree they can be indispensable for a long walk if you're carrying a lot of cold weather gear AND a flashlight in the dark.

Then I got a good quality 'headlight' which freed up another hand and haven't used a sling in a while now...plus, if I get a deer I walk all the equipment out to the truck, lock it up, then go back for the deer...don't like wearing heavy clothes and getting over heated when dragging anyway.

Gotta believe some hunters used slings 200+ years ago - it just makes the long trips in and out and a lot of other tasks easier if you can sling the gun sometimes.
I sling only when not hunting or to glass when I'm hunting afoot sometimes. I never climb trees anymore. The rest of the time, the sling is rolled up in my pocket.
I also have settled on the universal type because it's on and off the gun in a second, no mounting hardware and it just looks better on a flintlock that something more modern.
Learned a long time ago that game has a uncanny habit of showing up when your gun is slung!

Finnwolf

Waaaay back in the olden days when I went through Basic Training (mid-60's), we were trained to use the sling in a support/shooting grip and it's stuck with me since then. Now it feels awkward if I don't have a sling. Besides where we hunt, if you take down an animal you're not about to part with your gun when carrying it out, so the sling serves a great purpose in those situations. I've seen the sling BrownBear uses and the first chance I get I'm going to pick one up for those guns I don't want to drill holes in the stock for sling mounts.

BrownBear said:

More recently I've been using one of these. I really like it more than the first system. If your front sight is more or less standard height, you can even see over the barrel strap and still shoot.

I have the same sling and use it only when I'm going to carry my rifle a ways. It slips on and off easy enought to keep in my haversack when not needed. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/pdf_datasheet.php?products_id=11450

Last edited by a moderator:
smokehouseman said:
Besides where we hunt, if you take down an animal you're not about to part with your gun when carrying it out, so the sling serves a great purpose in those situations.

Ah yes, our furry neighbors. They certainly do change your outlook.... and your habits.

Haven't seen any or heard about any bears around the houses yet this winter. Have you?

smokehouseman said:
I've seen the sling BrownBear uses and the first chance I get I'm going to pick one up for those guns I don't want to drill holes in the stock for sling mounts.

If you get to Dixons Shop once in awhile, I bought an all leather version of the universal sling and I like it a lot.

Finnwolf

I was contemplating adding a sling swivel post at both ends of my rifle, one just forward of the toe plate and one up on one of the ramrod pipes, but maybe I'll look at a design that slips on/off a bit easier. Like many of you have stated, I'd only use it walking in or out where some distance is involved and leave it off during "the hunt" itself.

I like a sling, it's a personal thing with me. I like to use a woven strap on my smoothbores.

Two-Fer2.JPG

Jackie_a_pair2.JPG

Back