• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rifles in the white ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

three otters

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a gunsmith / builder or company that offers "rifles in the white" besides Early Rustic Arms. I have limited "free-time" due to family obligations. I would love to have the time to build a kit gun, but for now one in the white would suffice. Having visited their site I was shocked to see their anticipated lead times for 1 year plus. Time frame for delivery will also be a deciding factor should several manufactures be suggested. Looking for a gun similar to a "Rupp" style, possibly "Reading with a Roman nose". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

Try , Tip Curtis Frontier Shop, as he usually has 10-15 rifles built in the white & they are reasonably priced & decent rifles. He is in Cross Plains, TN. His number is 615-654-4445

You might give him a call & see, he may have just what ya want.

:thumbsup:

Big K Tip Curtis has guns in the white got my fowler from him. I have on order a 50 cal swamped barrel lefthand rifle from James Klein Gunstocker in the white. He is just bulding a Chambers kit.Jim's Ph.# (269)729-4407 :winking: Rocky

I don't know of anyone who offers a Lehigh Valley rifle of the type built by the Rupps,Neihart and others in the white unless possiby Cabin Creek.I'm curious as to what period we are talking about here.
Tom Patton

On my way home today I stopped by Tip Curtis Frontier Shop to get a few small screws & etc. I needed. He has 2 big racks in the front showroom of the shop with 48 rifles in each rack & Both of them were almost full of rifles "In the White". I counted 46 alone with no stain on them, got to looking & there were about 40 more with stain applied to show the stripes, but otherwise unfinished. He says he does that because some guys want to see the stripes, so he wipes some stain on some of them. He had Lancasters, Becks, Jaegers, Vincents, Virgina's, I don't know what all he had there, but there is One Heck of a selection !! All dif. calibers, barrel types, lengths, etc. Maple, walnut, ash, etc.

:thumbsup:

There are quite a few out there that will provide gunsmiting services at various levels. These guy's are suposed to be good: http://www.midcoast.com/~adolglen/guns/

I sent them my Jaeger stock and buttplate, to have it inletted. (Long story short- I decided that the acanthus leaf style was a bit beyond my experience. I figured that this rifle will be around much longer than me if done correctly, so I didn't want to mess up this part.)
They seem very confident and helpful.
You can buy a kit from Track or whoever, and a shop like theirs (Adolphsen Bros.) will perform anything from a simple inlet like mine to an entire assembly. A web search for "muzzleloading gunsmiths" turned up quite a few. The Brothers were the most responsive and prompt to my inquiries. I'll update everyone when I get it back (which they e-mailed me yesterday and said would be next week- that's a quick turnaround in my book!) Rates were $30 an hour, he estimated "a few hours." I also Emailed David Ripplinger at track, and he recommended someone in Columbus, OH that could do it.

David told me to expect to pay about the same as the sum of the parts for an "in the white" gunsmith assembly BTW. But it is possible. Of course fancy engraving/carving is extra.

I bought one from Jack Gardner from TMV. I am very happy with it. He will build you one to order. Not sure about the styles. Nice guy easy to talk to

Back