• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifles with common loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We all hear often that each rifle has it's preferred load for best accuracy. What are the odds of getting more than one rifle to perform with a common load? This would be with same caliber at least, I would think. I am not enthused about having different components and different amounts of components in every rifle. I do recognize that with muzzleloading it is often a necessary evil. I feel extremely lucky to be able to use the same exact load in two different flintlock rifles (same caliber, different barrels). My same-caliber percussion rifle will use the same patch/lube/ball as the flintlocks, but requires a different powder. Then a small-bore percussion rifle will use the same powder/lube/patch as the larger percussion rifle (different amount of powder and patch size of course). Then there is a .50 that has nothing in common with any of the other rifles - totally different powder/granulation/projectile...etc. Do any of your rifles use the same load, or same components as your other ones?

We all hear often that each rifle has it's preferred load for best accuracy. What are the odds of getting more than one rifle to perform with a common load?

Do any of your rifles use the same load, or same components as your other ones?

It depends on how picky you are.

Yes, I have a lot of crossover, muzzleloaders are pretty forgiving.

I try and stick with fff Swiss for everything I shoot, handguns, rifles (32 to 62 caliber) and shotguns. Currently using 80 grains of that fff Swiss in 45 caliber paper patch guns, a number of 54 RB guns, a couple of 58 RB guns and a 12 gauge double. Have other powders available, but one powder and a common weight charge simplifies things a whole bunch, particularly when you want to use powder vials and premeasured charges. Try and label patch material with relaxed and compressed thickness and which guns it works with (write the info right on the material or on an attached tag with a Sharpie).... also attempt to limit each caliber of round ball to single mold. Got messed up years ago with round balls in the same caliber from different manufactures - they were just different enough to reduce accuracy.

My daughters and I shoot the same load in our deer rifles. It shoots pretty well in all of them but we don’t shoot over 100 yards so it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Carbon 6 said it best. I have (4) 50 caliber rifles with various twist rate barrels that all shoot pretty good with 60 grains of 3f, but if I want the best precision I have to let the barrels decide, and only two of the four like the same powder charge for accuracy. I have found the same with my .54's. 70 grains of 3f is a good universal load for all of them, but each one has it's own sweet spot for the best accuracy. So as Carbon 6 said, if you are not too picky, you can get away with similar components and charges.

I shoot 70gr 2f or 3f in my .54 and same for my 20ga trade gun and my 12ga double barrel. Other than that, not so much....too much flame and smoke from 70gr in the .50 pistol.....Just sayin!

My same-caliber percussion rifle will use the same patch/lube/ball as the flintlocks, but requires a different powder. Then a small-bore percussion rifle will use the same powder/lube/patch as the larger percussion rifle (different amount of powder and patch size of course). Then there is a .50 that has nothing in common with any of the other rifles - totally different powder/granulation/projectile...etc.

I shoot 3 FFF in everything, pistols, rifles, revolvers, and shotguns.

I can use the same lube for everything, patches, wads, revolvers, and conicals.

I use the same size patch for 45 and 50 cal. But can use the same thickness for everything.

I can shoot the same measure of powder in 45, 50,and 54, 58, and 12 & 20 gauge. all with acceptable results.

Everything uses a #11 cap.

Lot's of crossover.

In our project with the Scouts, we settled on a "matched" set of Zouaves (1863 Remington) with .579-580 bore size. Bullet was a RCBS Hogdon at .578 with 50g 3f Schutzen. In all but one of the guns, this is a 4moa load. I'm certain it could be better if we really knuckled down and dialed it in tighter.

Best accuracy or acceptable accuracy? If you want to pick the wings off a gnat at 300 yards, each one might need some individual refinements. If 1 moa is acceptable, likely you can find loads that transfer between guns.

4 moa means that once your gun is zeroed, any hit should be no more than 2 inches of point of aim. Close enough that I wouldn't want you wanting a shot at me. Even at 200.

Remember, when your MPI is within 1/4 of your ESA to your CZP, you are considered zeroed.

Bob have tried a whole bunch of load combos. Best load in his .50? .495 /.15patch mink oil 65 grains 3f. Jacks got the same barrel. His best is .490, .20 patch with moose milk and seventy five grains 3f. How’s come? Can there be that much difference in two barrels made in modern factory to modern tolerances?
I don’t think so. Personally I don’t THINK a there is one load for a gun. I THINK any gun has several ‘perfect’ combination. Light level, barometric pressure, and temperature, humidity when you find your perfect load it may not be the perfect day, and our eyes can be sharper one day over the next, or even over the time of day.
We just find a combo that works for us, and in the end they’re very similar to other shooters with that same gun.

Carbon 6, Grimord and tenngun mirror my experiences with loads. I've also had rifles that would shoot great with a certain load yet keep the same accuracy when the powder charge varied quite a ways up and down. And 70 grains of 3F is accurate in several of my guns.

Latest posts

Back