• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rigby flats

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulussie0

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for what they call Rigby flats.
I want to build a sportingrifle in the English-style with halfstock and a set trigger.
Has annyone of you a clear picture or drawing of these Rigby flats.???

Rigby flat is:
A) a location on the Rigby Island in Washington State.
B) when your tyre looses all of its' air.
C) a type of British hair style
D) an apartment dwelling in England
:grin:

Here is a picture that may help you Gunman.
This is a "Rigby" in the making. I took the picture a while back at friendship. The gun is the work of Mark Silver, not myself.
RigbyBreach.jpg

See the file work on the standing breach, which makes a flat "thumbnail" behind the top flat of the barrel. The rest of the 45 degree flats and the continuation of the top flat are cut down to get that effect.
I hope this helps
:)
Steve Zihn

I have been studying these rifles lately myself. They are fast twist--1/16 or 1/18, and were designed to put 500 gr .45cal bullets in small groups at 500 yards. Me thinks that this could be an ultimate elk rifle, as they used vernier tang sights.

Steve thanks for the picture :bow: , this is what I was refferring to , do you know if the octagonal breach runs in to a round tapert muzzle at let us say 1/4 from the breach ?? :confused:

Pecatonica uses a straight octagon barrel, and Track has two designs, one with a straight octagon barrel, and one with a swamped barrel.

Have a look at the following which should help.

whitworth01.jpg

whitworth02.jpg

The above are of an original Whitworth match rifle c1867.

gardiner.jpg

The last picture is from a barrel on a repro. match rifle.

Typically match rifles had full round barrels and no ram rod. They were equipped with aperture sights with vernier adjustment and were used in competition to 1000 yards and occasionally further. The 1 in 16 / 1 in 18 twist quoted above is I think a little fast and 1/20 was most common.

A sporting-target rifle might typically have a full octagonal barrel with a rib and ram rod. The rifle might be equipped with open sights for sporting use and have the facility to add aperture sights for target practice. Set triggers weren't permitted for target shooting.

Have a look in the collecting section of my Long Range Muzzle Loader web site. There are pictures of Whitworth, Henry, Gibbs-Metford, Rigby and other rifles.

David

Thanks for the posting the beautiful photos of the Rigby flats and link :applause: !

Sorry Gunman.
I took that picture years ago, and I can't remember now.
SZ

Latest posts

Back