• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Right hand or left hand shooter? 🤔

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've always had this issue and I'm curious of what you all think. I'll throw it out there for discussion. I have a physical affliction my whole life where I can't independently close my left eye. Right eye, no problem. I can only close my left when I close both. I assume it's a muscle thing. And for the record, I'm right handed. When I shoot, I can't sight a right handed musket unless I wear an eye patch which looks weird. At least I think it is because when I'm done, I take it off and then people look at me like I'm crazy. I've often thought about purchasing a left handed musket but I'm not sure if I want to commit to that. I do everything else right handed. I suppose I could get used to left handed shooting eventually.
What do you all think?

First - Did you confirm that your Right eye is indeed your 'master eye'? If not - please report back - as there's simple ways to confirm that, like at this link here: https://www.allaboutvision.com/resources/dominant-eye-test.htm.

Then, if you are right-handed and with a right master eye, then you will reduce eye fatigue, maintain true binocular vision, increase the available 'light' for seeing the sights, maximize situational awareness and improve visual acuity by shooting with your left or 'off' eye open; so that's 5 bonus reasons right there!

What many top competition line shooters (e.g., like 20-times shots offhand @ 200-yards) do is add a 'blinder' or eye shield to their off eye, that flips up out of the way when not shooting - see the Gehman-type eye shield below.

For muzzleloading, here's what I do. I stick an aperture on my master eye, where note on the shooting glasses shown I am left-handed, so that aperture is on the left lens. My MZL'ding glasses on the bottom and my general rifle/pistol shooting glasses on top, where for line shoots I'll add the blinder/shield. Yes, I'm not prohibiting sight or vision from my off eye, but I'm not closing it either, where the master eye prioritizes my vision simply looking through that aperture, so in effect it essentially takes the off eye out of the equation.

TIP - Acting on some helpful advice from @ADK Bigfoot, I'm experimenting with repacing the black electrical tape aperture with opaque packing tape, so while it's a not really 'clear'/milky white tape in color, it is less noticeable when not shooting .. but honestly, I never cared a wit if someone said, "Hey, what's that on/in your eye?", as I'd tell them to just go look at my score versus their own, LOL!

BTW, when not shooting, even with the black tape, it does not block nor interefer with my primary vision, as in normal eyesight I am looking directly through the center of my lens. But for most shooters, when in their shooting stance, their head is not turned all the way forward, but is off at an angle, so if you note ... the aperture is closer to the nose bridge than being in the center of your main vision (when not shooting).

Glasses.jpeg

Link = https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...our-glasses-so-you-can-see-the-sights.160334/

Eye Shield/Blinder:

EyeS.jpg

Try some of this out, I think it will work for you! But confirm your master eye 1st!

Attachments

• EyeS.jpg
    EyeS.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • 1718721546707.png
    1718721546707.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am in the same situation as you.
You will only be the best you can be by shooting with your dominate eye. Yes there are some that won’t agree but I am talking about an overwhelming majority of people that will improve their shooting. If you are left eye dominant shoot left handed. I was made in God’s image but my left side is wonky when it comes to gun fit and I have to do a lot to my target guns to fit me but I do.
It’s awkward shooting right handed percussion and flint rifles on the left side but it can be done. Really important to wear protective eye wear doing that.

Looks like my dominant eye is my left one. Go figure.
My left eye is dominant and I shoot most guns left handed although I’m right handed. Pistols are shot right handed with the left eye.
Not an issue at all. Left hand shooting with a right handed flintlock.
IMG_0365 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Um, I shoot with both eyes open. Especially handguns. I have no problem using a scope either. At first I wondered why people used one eye. Then I figured out it was me. Don't know if its because I have a lazy left eye. And since its been like that all my life, maybe I just got used to it. I can close either eye independently.
My dad was in WWII and he told me he never closed an eye. That way when you were shooting, you could still keep an eye on your surroundings. Especially you'r peripheral.
Just my couple pennies.

Wear the eye patch but don't take it off. Or better yet, switch it back and forth between eyes like Captain Ron!

So I've always had this issue and I'm curious of what you all think. I'll throw it out there for discussion. I have a physical affliction my whole life where I can't independently close my left eye. Right eye, no problem. I can only close my left when I close both. I assume it's a muscle thing. And for the record, I'm right handed. When I shoot, I can't sight a right handed musket unless I wear an eye patch which looks weird. At least I think it is because when I'm done, I take it off and then people look at me like I'm crazy. I've often thought about purchasing a left handed musket but I'm not sure if I want to commit to that. I do everything else right handed. I suppose I could get used to left handed shooting eventually.
What do you all think?
I think you should do what works! If an eye patch works for you, 99% of the guys I shoot with would not care one bit. I say do what works best for your shooting comfort. Also one other thought: Some shooters actually shoot with both eyes open intentionally. It takes some practice, but two eyes give a better view anyway.
Larry

Shooters that need a blinder for what ever reason, can down size to a small piece of matt finish scotch tape just big enough to block the sights and target , on their glasses.

Just my 2 cents:

I am also left eye dominant, but do everything right handed EXCEPT shooting AR platforms. I shoot all AR rifles primarily lefty, both eyes open. When I was in the military, I would use my AR either way, depending on how my cover allowed me to fire.

That being said, I have found switching from weak right to strong left (or the other way around) to be less important for rifles (though it can be statistically better over time), but very important for handguns. Because I've shot right handed on the more common style wrist my whole life, that's what I do. Switching would mean that I would have to create new neural pathways to shoot. It's doable, but I shoot just fine right handed so I won't spend time trying to switch.

I personally recommend staying righty, both eyes open (I typically prefer both eyes open). If necessary, keep the eye patch alive, or whatever else you feel you need to do to block vision in the left eye.

Last edited:
Looks like my dominant eye is my left one. Go figure.
Interesting.

I, too, am right-handed and left-eye dominant, but the first time I shot a rifle, a BB gun at age 6, I instinctively mounted it lefty.

The older boys I was with teased me about shooting “wrong” until I out-shot them all.

Since then I’ve always shot rifles, bow & arrow, and even billiard left-handed.

Was a lifelong RH shooter until a detached retina reduced my right eye acuity to 20/500. Have done a lot of LH shooting to train myself. Pellet and .22 caliber unmentionables help with the cost. Doing enough shooting with a ML to acquire the newskill couild be tedious.

What do you all think?
You definitely can. I am right handed but left eye dominant. I learned early on that my right eye missing the center sharpness resolution. I cannot see sights well with my right eye. At first shouldering a real gun felt odd but now, anytime I pick up a long gun I pick it up and shoulder it left side naturally. And yes, I shoot flintlocks just like Black Powder Maniac Shooter does. It’s all in what you get used to.
Good luck in your black powder journey!

Back