• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rock soup a distinct possibility

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always enjoy your stories Spence. Congrats on another birthday and a fine day afield.

Jeff

Thanks, everybody, for all the positive comments, makes the trip even more special than when I was doing it.

Spence

That was a great story with great pics. I could almost smell that fire burning and feel the heft of your rifle.

Thanks for taking us all along. :applause: woke up to a white blur going sideways at 50 mile an hour. Good day to stay inside.

Thanks for the answer Spence, I'm probably the only guy on the site that didn't know! :redface:
George said:
War Hawk said:
What is rockhominy? If I may ask.
Here's a definition from the day:

"Histories of the Dividing Line betwixt Virginia and North Carolina" by William Byrd, 1729:

He has been discussing pocket or portable soup and its virtues, and finishes by saying, "But this Broth will be still more heartening if you thicken every Mess with half a Spoonful of Rockahominy, which is nothing but Indian Corn parched without burning, and reduced to Powder . . ."

Spence

Happy Birthday Spence! And I hope that you have many more. You're a real treasure to have with us here on the forum, and thanks for taking us along once again. :hatsoff:

Spence, You know how to live. :thumbsup: I always enjoy your post and photos.Thanks for posting and keep em' coming.Happy Birthday to you as well :hatsoff: Now that my mouth is watering i need to find something to eat. :idunno: :shake:

Happy Birthday! :hatsoff: (although belatedly)

Thank you for posting this!

Silex

Spence,
As I've heard said, imitation in the most sincere form of flattery. I have often thought of doing just what you did.....going out afield with nothing in hand but gun and ball (or shot) and hoping to kill something to eat, and cooking it there. I have a pretty busy schedule but I hope to have a similar day myself before this winter is over. If so, I will post up a few photos. It is a good thing to inspire others in a positive way.

Jeff

Very nice, and thanks from all of us office bound people who can't get away today...,

BUT..., please flag your story next time when it contains images of tasty food, for some of us have not had breakfast..., and now I have a hankerin' for squirrel, and although there are plenty near where I am sitting..., the locals frown on "taking" squirrels in downtown Silver Spring, MD. :shocked2:

LD :haha:

Back