• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rocky Mountain Hawken or a GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby James

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok the choice is of these two rifles. Both are setting in the Bargain Cave at Cabela's. I need some votes to help me decide which I am going to get.

First is a....
Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken Rifle in .54 cal. Regular price is $1300 and are on sale right now for $1000. The one I am looking at is a return idem that has never been shot for $800.

This is a good looking rifle but not great. Its maple wood but the tiger striping is not dark and hard to see. It also does not cover much of the rifle.
It also has a crack in the stock. You can barely tell that the bottom corner of the butt has a crack that will soon need taken out and doweled and re glued. It is all there but the crack can be seen. It was bought and returned but never fired.

Second is a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .50 cal. It is a return and it does not seem to have been fired. Everything is in perfect shape as it came from the factory. The only thing I did not care about was that the fit looks bad. The fit between the wood and lock is terrible. There is gaps between the wood and lock and between the wood and butt plate. Looks like a chisel cut the wood with no finish sanding. This rifle is on clearance for $480

I need some votes. The .50cal Lyman GPR for $480 or the Pedersoli RMHR for $800.

I am going to get the one with the most votes. .

PS. Could somebody please call Cabela's and tell them I am no longer allowed in their store.

This is dipping into my riding lawn mower money.

Ok, I cant lie.

I asked the guy behind the counter to ask the manager if they can do a better price on the Pedersoli since it had a crack. He came back with a price of $675.

Which ever one feels better when you shoulder it. (period)
I thought you where still working on payments to the pawn shop?
Now your just acting like a kid in a candy store.
Calm down, take a deep breath and decide where your going before you break into a full run, :youcrazy:

Have you thought about the GPR on the classifieds? :hmm: It's a 54, and I would think in better shape than the two Yer lookin' at, since they are Bargain Cave items!

And 2_Tall's gun, I am thinking, is a win win at his price, and will give You a taste of both your choices! That would be the .54 bore of one and the actual design of the other! :thumbsup:

And would keep that mower mostly funded! :rotf:

The ones at the pawn shop are still good. No big thing there.

These at Cabela's will probably be for my kid. They are a good deal so I am going to jump on them now.

The T/C's in pawn will be to learn how to work on them and the Pedersoli or GRP will be for serious collecting and shooting.

Don't worry, I am not going to hawk the family crown. I know what I want and I should have it all bought by Christmas.

So which one?

I already told ya,
Why don't ya flip a coin if fit means nothing to ya?
You can always do 2 outa 3 or 3 outa 5 or,(?)

As Rusty Nail says "Check the Classifieds"
There is a mighty fine GPR for only $350
You can't get better than that!
I have no part in this sale.
It is a great buy!
Compared to the ones mentioned by you, this is a no brainer.
Fred

I would have to flip until I win with the Pedersoli. I already had them put it in the hold room for two week when I will pay them.

I like the Pedersoli a lot better do to the fit, finish, longer barrel, browned barrel. Its a good looking piece even if its not really striped. My step dad use to dowel pin broken stocks and I have a few that you could never tell that it has been cracked. I think I can make this Pedersoli a long time keeper/user rifle. If I get into Rendezvous I hope to make it my competition rifle or a very good trade gun. I am getting it for over half off and the fix wont be noticed. I would always let the person know I have repaired the stock but even if I get only $750 or $700 I still made some money. Oops, I mean give it to my son.

Hold on. I need to stop talking and let the vote continue.

Old Ford said:
As Rusty Nail says "Check the Classifieds"
There is a mighty fine GPR for only $350
You can't get better than that!
Fred

I looked and I agree its nice but for now I am going Pedersoli. I will show the picture of the add to some friends and let them know about it. Two weeks ago I was talking about my crossbow and the next week they started to let me know how they have one on law-a-way at the local paw shops. If one of us has one we all have to have one.

The one in the classified looks better than the one at Cabela's plus its in .54 cal. Somebody will jump on it soon.

My wife was in that Cabela's on Monday and looked over both of those rifles.
She walked away from them and she is an excellent judge of firearm's & bargains. Of course that was when the price of the Pedersoli was $899 so if you can get it for $675 you would probably be OK.

I would be sure to check the bore because although someone returned it claiming it was unfired you can't be sure without checking and if it went un-cleaned well you know.

I love my GPR but I would go with your choice.
They are really nice. It might be a good idea to check the bore.

Geo. T.

I checked the bores and they are perfect. Thanks for the information.

The Pedersoli is a very good deal. I wouldn't give $800 but $675 is something I am more than willing to give.

A suggestion for you to consider - get a Gunbroker account, not to buy anything but to use to get an idea of current actual selling prices. If you have an account you can search recent completed auctions, I find this a very handy tool.

I'm really bothered by the crack in the Pedersoli, but the price on the GPR seems too high.

I'd be real sure you can stop that crack from spreading when you repaired it, or it will turn into a bum buy. If the GPR appeals more, I'd go shopping for a better deal.

I've handled and shot a Pedersoli, plus I own several GPR's. I prefer the handling of the GPR, so never felt particularly drawn to the cosmetics of the Pedersoli. My call and my money, and certainly no criticism if you feel the other way.

Last edited by a moderator:
BrownBear said:
I'm really bothered by the crack in the Pedersoli

I'd be real sure you can stop that crack from spreading when you repaired it, or it will turn into a bum buy.

The crack is about an inch from the bottom corner of the butt where it rest on your shoulder. Even if it goes all the way across it would but take out the bottom inch. I know it can be repaired easy.

From day one I have said I want a Maple rifle in .54cal and I am very happy one has fallen into my lap. I am getting a $1300 rifle for $675. Not many people have one so mine will be unique.

I have said in the past I am getting it for my son but in reality he can get his own. This one is my personal rifle to do with as I please in the future.

I now have a nice Pedersoli Hawken in .54 cal that I bought at half price new and I will soon have a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in .54 cal, that I bought at half price new, God is good to me.

Latest posts

Back