• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roe season ended today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
today is the last day of roeseason here in Bavaria. Was not outside today. My total ML harvest this huntingyear 2007/2008, in GE a "hunting year" is from 01st of april to 31st of march,were 6 roes. All of them were harvested with ML (first time) and all with PRB. Now countdown starts for hunting in my new hunting area with roe, reddeer and chamoise. the roeseason starts again at 1st of may, reddeer at 1st of june, chamoise at 15th of august.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I used the last day to harvest my second Fallow, but tt hurts me to say that it was not traditional (Pedersoli Gamma 9000 inliner) .54 PRB and 80gr Wano PP

Hi Baikal,

way to go and Waidmanns Heil! Tell me the whole story!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister,

Congrats, and Waidmanns Heil! I think you closed a very succesful BP hunting season now.
Here in Hungary we have a slightly different seasons for roedeer and reddeer. We shoot does from 1st of october to end of february, bucks from 15th of apryl to end of november. Reddeer season for bull is from 1st of september to end of january, and for the other reddeers from 1st of september to end of february.

Way to go!

springer

Baikal,

Congrats!
Your gun isn't looks like a traditional gun, but the load is OK. :)
Don't you use your .45 Kentucky anymore, or you will use that only for smaller games, and the .54 for bigger ones?

Kirr: I still think you need to introduce some White Tail deer blood lines there to improve the size of your deer. They are so small. I can't see a need to use anything larger than a .45 on them. If you saw a 300 lb. Whitetail Deer like those we have here in the Cornbelt in the Midwest of the USA, you would be shocked.

I am glad you had a successful season this year, and did it with muzzleloaders. A scope on a .54 seems to be a bit much, but its still a MLer. Good shooting.

Hi Springer,
mo problem with the .45 also at bigger game, it´s very acurate, if the light is good (I have to use a dioptersight)
Because we hunt pigs at night the scope ist a must.
Pigs are sometimes a little hard and a .54 ist not too much gun.
My first game with that gun was a Fox early in the morning. Shot straight from behind, the REAL stuck under the hide at the neck!

paulvallandigham,

About European deers.
We have mainly three different deer species here in Europe.
Roedeer (Capreolus Capreolus): This is the smallest deer we have. Live weight ~ 40-60 lbs
Fallow deer (Dama Dama): Our mid-size deer. Live weight ~ 60-180 lbs.
And reddeer (Cervus Elaphus): Live weight. ~ 200-700 lbs.
Here in Hungary (Central-East Europe) the roedeer is the most common deer.
Next is the reddeer. We have a lot of.
The fallow deer isn't native here in Hungary. This specie was established since a few hundred years, it is not as common as roedeer or reddeer.

About scopes.
As Baikal said, we hunt wildhog (Sus Scrofa) at night. This animal is very rugged and smart. If you want to shoot one, you have to scope your gun, because the wildhog moving only after sunset.
The hunting regulations here allow to hunt wildhog and redfox at night.
Full moon, and snow are our best friends. :)

paulvallandigham said:
Kirr: I still think you need to introduce some White Tail deer blood lines there to improve the size of your deer. They are so small. I can't see a need to use anything larger than a .45 on them. If you saw a 300 lb. Whitetail Deer like those we have here in the Cornbelt in the Midwest of the USA, you would be shocked.

I am glad you had a successful season this year, and did it with muzzleloaders. A scope on a .54 seems to be a bit much, but its still a MLer. Good shooting.

Paul, thanks for the reply and the wishes. It was my first hunting season with ML, so I have to made this or that test. To be on the secure side I used a scope, but next season during spring and summer when hunting at roes I'l think no more scope needed. Because of the reddeer it belongs how much disturbed they are in their habitat if they move at daylight.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Congratulations to a good season. For the most part, we are limited to deer hunting during set times such as one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset. I know in Massachusetts we can hunt varmints at night sans light. So some hunters will go out when the moon is bright and there is snow on the ground. One bad thing is that in my home state we are limited to nothing larger than a 22 lr in rifle or 38 caliber in a handgun.

Back