• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rough breech H&R Stalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MD you are correct, but it's a PTA to slug a rifle just to see for sure.
And yes a caliper can be off a little.
And granted you're only getting a reading in one spot, the muzzle.
It's normally close enough to get you on the right track for a starting point. It's quick it's easy, and most shops will normally to it for free. Only takes a minute or two.
That's where I was going with the caliper idea.

The more I monkey with scrubbin it, the more I think it's powder. Patches are coming out gray/black. I think I might be getting close. I'll try the Gunzilla-JB route. On an aside, another guy at work just gave me an unopened pound can of fff powder manufactured in Great Britian in 1973. I think it's called Meteor. I love the idea of shootin' my early 70's gun with early 70's powder. :) I'm gonna wear polyester bell bottoms and earth shoes when I go to the range.

Yep, got my guns cornfused. One thing which might work without slugging the bore is Cerrusafe (sp?), a low melting point material used for chamber casts. Not supposed to shrink when hardened. You could plug the barrel a short way down and insert a rod, etc, to pull it out. Brownell's should carry it.

Well I wish you lived close cause now you got be wanting to take a look see. We could yank that plug out and get my Hawkeye out and get the real low down in no time. MD

I have a few cans of meteor from the 60'sor 70's. Good powder. Save your cans and put them in a closet somewhere for some one to find someday.
Nit Wit

Back