• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rough or rusty bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Can someone please help me with some suggestions as to what I can do with my T/C .45 barrel?
I bought this rifle used and afterwards found the barrel to be rusty about 1" from the breechplug.
When I load, I can push the patched ball (lubed with olive oil) down to the breechplug, but the bore is so rough I can not extract the ramrod.
Now, a good friend of mine has a lathe and is barrel knowledgeable.
Can I just shorten the barrel up 1" and re-tap all the screw holes, or will I run into some unforeseen problem?
Please help!!
Thanks

buggybuilder

Plug the vent, put in a few ounces of good penetrating oil and let it set for a few hours. wrap some steel wool around a brush and scrub the heck out of the breech area. After the loose stuff comes out, I would the use some fine valve grinding compound on an oiled patch to lap the bore.

Wrap a brass brush with 4.0 steel wool and scrub the heck out of it, you can follow up with lapping compund or toothpaste used for dentures.
Good luck

Back