• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball Brush Deflection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was shooting at a mansized cutout on a woodswalk. The range was about 25 yards. I had loaded my Bess with a .715 ball and 3 .32 buckshot over 90 grains of 2F. I had plenty of time to aim, took a good bead on the center of the chest and let fly. The big punkin ball hit a branch the size of my thumb and took out a big crescent shaped chunk. The big ball did not hit the target but the 3 buckshot did. We never did see where the big ball went.

So, yes, big round ball can be deflected.

Many Klatch

Yes I think the problem is that the round ball is a sphere, and like a cue ball touching something as it rolls on the pool table, if a round ball bullet hits a branch or twig of sufficent resistance that isn't 100% centered in the flight path..., you are going to get deflection. Thus the farther beyond the point of impact with that intervening piece of brush, the more that deflection will cause an impact off of your point of aim.

LD

I had the fortunate pleasure to fire a .458 win mag about 50 times one day. It was a pleasure to shoot and by the end of the day I wanted one very badly. :thumbsup:

I had my sights on a deer one day following it from right to left as it walked, with my left eye closed. Just as I pulled the trigger it stepped behind about an 8 inch diameter tree. I nailed that tree dead center :doh:

All the above are correct. Size and shape of projectile does not matter, if it hits anything on the way to the target, it will deflect. Even a "straight-through" hit on a sapling will cause it to bend back, changing the trajectory of your ball. It's like shooting pool, except you don't see the surface causing the deflection.

I passed up a 60 foot shot at a deer on opening day, because of intervening brush. On the last day, I might have taken the same shot. (I was using a .357 lever gun, and was confident I could take the deer, I just didn't want to risk wounding it on the first shot.) With my flintlock, I wouldn't even consider it.

My experience is that neither roundballs nor any other projectiles can reliably penetrate brush and remain on target. I've learned this the hard way. I try not to shoot unless I have a clean path to the target. But then again, using iron sights, there are times I just don't see that limb that was sticking out in the way. A person may get lucky now and again but it has never worked for me.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back