• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round ball bullet boards?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyandmarsha

32 Cal.
Reaction score
how do i make one for a 50 cal.?

does the ball and patch go together into
the bullet board for a quick reload?

OR.... how do you make yourself ready for a
quick flintlock followup shot for deer hunting?

Yes the ball and patch go in the block together. You use your short starter to punch one out of the block into the muzzle. If you leave a small portion of the patched ball below the block, it makes it easy to line the ball up with the bore. Put as many holes in the block as you think you will need for a days hunting. A 1/2" hole will work for a .50 cal.

The ball and patch go into the bullet board together. The quick second shot comes from reloading quickly...as fast as you can. Have the powder already measured out and get everything into the barrel quick as a bunny. Better yet, get one or 2 of those plastic reloader tubes (Gander Mountain, etc.) Holds powder, patched ball, primer in one neat package. It's not PC but if plastic had been around in 1750 they would've been. Not having to track a wounded animal through the snow near sunset pretty much negates PC anyway. :hatsoff:

I made my quick loader from a couple of old cane fishin' rods, just cut off a segment leavin' one end closed and whittle a plug for the open end. I've got 6 and my bullet board holds 8 prbs. :winking:

How I make bullet a board is, get a 3/4 walnut board and If you have a 15/16 barrel, take a spade bit that is 15/16 in dia. and drill about 3/16 to a 1/4 in. in the board, the point on the spade gives you a starter hole for your 1/2in. bit to center on. By drilling with the spade first it will slip over your barrel and help center the ball on your barrel for easier reloading.

LoadingBlock.jpg

Here's my fastest follow-up shot. Three shot block on the horn strap with 0.010" patching (thin). With the measure hanging on the horn strap (the only thing I have that hangs - and has a vent pick on the thong).

I can set those patched balls with a single long push with the rammer right through the block.

Horn2.jpg

In a sheath on the back of the hunting bag I carry a long, thin five hole block with a stub-starter.

So that's eight shots without going into the bag yet (if I prime from the main horn)

PouchandHorn2.jpg

Another favored block is a gorgot (or canoe shaped) one I wear on my chest with five shots. Hanging from both ends means it doesn't flop around so much.

Moosestuff.jpg

The three-hole is maple, the long five-hole is purpleheart, and the gorgot is walnut.

Track of the Wolf sells maple six-holers that are hard to beat for convenience. I have a couple of these I have drilled a seventh hole in the end of.

This loading-block business is finally making sense to me. I especially, like big D

general,

THANKS ! that's just what i was going
to ask next.... now i know which drill
bit to get.

troy

:RO:

:master:

At this time there is no documentation for bullet boards in the 18th century. 19th century, I don't know. I, and most others use them anyway. It is very possible that they were one of those things so common that no one bothered to mention in writing. On the other hand, none are known to exist that can be dated to 18th century, with the one exception that is dated 1757, and Wallace Gusler considers it to be a fake based on his many years of experience. None have shown up in any period paintings, and if they were commonly used, some with dates, or known origins, should have been found by now, but as with much research, tomorrow is another day. Who knows. The one that Gusler considers faked, may be shown to be for real.

yes there is one mark baker showed one that was found at washingtons crossing state park out of pine from 1757 so there is one known from then and if they were here once they were no longer needed with the advent of cartridge guns they were probally burt or cast away and then decomposed since they were made of wood duh because people at that transition time didnt know there would be alot of weird people wanting to relive a by gone era :m2c: :front:

Can I infer from the comments
Welcome to the forum Gabby. I saw yer handle, and my mind (what there is of it)immediatly read yer note with a Gabby Hayes accent, and I could'nt stop giggling thinking about it. I could see him making those comments to Roy. :thanks: Thanks for the chuckle Bill

Yes, the one Baker found, is the one I mentioned. Wallace Gusler is convinced it is a fake. It was his opinion that it is just too good. Too decorated, and in too good of condition. Time will tell, as others are able to study it. I certainly don't know. I hope Gusler is wrong, but he is about the foremost expert in this field. I would assume that the wood will be tested for age, but maybe not because that requires removal of a small piece. The patina in the carving however, can be tested without harm to the block itself. We shall see.

Back