• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round ball mold expansion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timemeddler

32 Cal
Reaction score
making ball molds on a cnc, does anyone have any experience with how much effect thermal expansion will affect ball diameter when the mold heats up from room temperature? does it have any significant effect on size from hot to cold? Making a 530 ball mold and was curious if I should undersize or oversize.?

You need to consult expansion - shrinkage tables. The Machinist Handbook can give you some good info for shrink fits based on material involved.
You can also take a mold and cast a ball using chamber casting material then cast a pure lead ball and compare them. This will give you some idea on what you are dealing with. I honestly doubt using steel blocks that there would be more than 0.0005" difference in the cast ball compared to the cherry.

The lead will shrink as it cools while the mold will expand as it heats. That machinist hand book will provide the numbers based on the alloys involved. Plenty of mathematicians to keep you entertained. :D

I made this ball mold for my cannon, the bore is 1 3/4” so I made the mold at 1.750” knowing that the lead would shrink. Worked out well with about .005” clearance. As cheap as 54 calibre molds are making one so common would be for the exercise of doing it.
IMG_1087 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
I was mostly curious about how much the temperature of the mold changes things. The basic reason for the project was for work training, I've recently been assigned to operating a cnc machine and I needed something for a project to learn programing on.

I made this ball mold for my cannon, the bore is 1 3/4” so I made the mold at 1.750” knowing that the lead would shrink. Worked out well with about .005” clearance. As cheap as 54 calibre molds are making one so common would be for the exercise of doing it.
IMG_1087 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Nicely done Phil - Your mold looks well made! I would love to see the cherry.

Latest posts

Back