• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball Molding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, Im new relatively new to BP shooting...and am wondering what equipement you need to make round ball molds(.454). Can you just explain what stuff you need, and how the process works? I saw some of the mold equipment that "LEE" makes, but dont know how to use it. Id figure it out quickly if someone gave an overview on it. Also I keep reading about the lead for the balls, but where do you get it from? Plz any help would save me tons of research and confusion.

Muzzman

i use the lee stuff to cast rifle and pistol bullets using their molds. i use a pot and a laddle to dip the lead and a propane burner to melt the lead.
you need soft lead for muzzleloaders. ebay sells it and i think duck decoy lead is soft.
melt the lead skim off the floating junk dip out some lead and pour it into the mold, cut the sprue off with WOOD mallet or heavy stick, tap the mold handle and then open mold up and drop out bullet onto cardboard or heavy clothe. the first couple to three balls may not be formed correctly cuz the mold needs to heat up. take your time and don't let the mold get too hot.
follow the directions that come with the mold.
my 2 cents

And good 2 cents worth too.

I would like to add that I get my lead from the scrap yards and it is pretty cheap that way.

rabbit03

muzzman, welcome to the wonderful world of smokemakers and rockbangers.

if you don't want to bear the expense of a 'production pot' (a clever gadget with a heating coil in the bottom and a little valve that lets the lead pour from the bottom), you can go with a small cast iron pot which is easily heated by a torch.

i've used scrap lead for years with good effect. he are a few pointers which work for me, and which i hope will also work for you.

! use 'pure' lead if at all possible. lead with other metals mixed in (usually tin or antimony) will be harder and you may have more trouble getting a load which works well for you... patch ball combinations get tricky with harder lead. imho. you don't need a hardness tester (unless you really want one for some reason)... if you can dent the lead with a thumbnail, it's probably soft enough to cast as roundball.

!! do all this outside. lead vapor/fumes, as well as lead particles, are really really really bad for you. (insert tirade here)

!!! do not eat or drink anything while you are casting (see above). be sure to wash your hands thoroughly when you're done.

!!!! melt up the lead in the pot, put in a small (green pea or thereabouts) sized ball of wax (i use beeswax from a fellow who gave me a bunch of it). you don't have to use beeswax, there are a number of fluxes which will work fine. this will flux the metal and help bring impurities to the top, where you can skim them off with a spoon. the spoon will be instantly ruined for any other use, so use an old nasty one.
when you pour the lead from the dipper into the mold, try to use a smooth motion and fill the mold and the sprue. let it cool for a few seconds and tap on the sprue cutter with a pit of hardwood scrap (i use a hunk of split firewood, and when it gets busted up, i put in back in the firewood box and fetch a new one) don't use a hammer or you will eventually damage your mold.

one final note of caution: don't let any water get around the operation. if even a small drop of water lands in the pot, the heat of the melted lead will superheat the water and you'll get instant steam, and molten lead will splash all over. (another good reason not to eat or drink anything while you cast).

good luck and good casting

msw

Good advice given already, I'm guessing from the dia. (454) you are casting balls for a revolver?
Might try some conicals, they do great in mine.
Use pure lead as you can get, the loading ram will love you for it.

Don't disagree with anything that's been said. I get my lead from two sources...a buddy whose son is in the business of tearing down lead lined X-ray rooms, and from my dentist, whose staff saves up all of the little lead shields used when x-rays are taken...my dentist is big on x-rays, so I get enough shields to keep me going most of the time...getting the lead from my buddy is rare and difficult.
I have an electric pot, not with a bottom spot, and I use a dipper. My Lee moulds work about as well as my Lyman's...Hank

I have two different melting rigs both LEE one with the spout on the bottom and the other uses the ladle.Both work equally good the spout might be a little faster. As far as lead I get mine from the scrap yard I believe for 3-5 cents a pound(it has been a little while) I ususally try to get the old lead pipe as it is really soft but I have used wheel weights too. One thing too remember is that the more times you heat and cool it the lead becomes increasingly hard/brittle, a bit more important when making sinkers for fishing but....it does happen

I've had most success with a cast iron pot (small Dutch Oven from camping store) on a propane ring, & use a ladle. With the ladle I'd buy a Lyman or RCBS rather than a Lee, they are a much better design. If you are only going to be casting roundballs you'll most likely be quite happy with an electric pot, either bottom-pour or used with a ladle, but if you intend to cast large caliber conicals or Minies at any time I'd go with the cast iron pot & propane heat source.
I usually get my lead from the scrap metal yard, usually in the form of sheet lead & lead flashing used on roofs. Prices vary with the market, but generally pay about 25-35c/lb.

Latest posts

Back