• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round ball ore minie ball for hunting deer and elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent00

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, its me again, and in now I have finally saved enough money to buy my first muzzle loading rifle for hunting, and I will start with an enfield p53 replica.

But witch bullet in this rifle would be better for hunting deer and elk? Is there a big practical difference in terminmal performance?

Agent, is this rifle going to be strictly used for hunting? If so, why the Enfield? Don't get me wrong, they're neat rifles and I own one myself for CW reenacting.

If I were to be using the muzzleloader for hunting only I would look at either A Thompson Center Hawken or a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I myself went the Great Plains route, but either one will serve you well. Adjustable sights really make it nice so that you don't have to use "kentucky windage" method of shooting like ya do with an Enfield that has no windage adjustments.

Lyman Great Plains

This place has about the best deal on the Great Plains that I've seen, and it won't set ya back as far as the Enfield.

Other than that if your dead set on the Enfield, I'd try a few different types of Mini's and see which ones shoot the best. Then I'd hunt with that load.

Jake

Agent, is this rifle going to be strictly used for hunting? If so, why the Enfield? Don't get me wrong, they're neat rifles and I own one myself for CW reenacting.

If I were to be using the muzzleloader for hunting only I would look at either A Thompson Center Hawken or a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I myself went the Great Plains route, but either one will serve you well. Adjustable sights really make it nice so that you don't have to use "kentucky windage" method of shooting like ya do with an Enfield that has no windage adjustments.

Lyman Great Plains

This place has about the best deal on the Great Plains that I've seen, and it won't set ya back as far as the Enfield.

Other than that if your dead set on the Enfield, I'd try a few different types of Mini's and see which ones shoot the best. Then I'd hunt with that load.

Jake

I will buy my rilfe very soon, and yes I will only use it for hunting and traget and fun shooting.
thx for the intersting link. And I want to buy an enfield because I like to look of the rifle. But the hawken would also be a good choice.

ps: sorry for my late response but I my pc was broken, and now finally I have got a new one. :sorry:

Great choice Agent. I've had a 50 caliber Hawken for years and last year bought a 2 band Enfield (1858). It makes my Hawken look like a BB gun. The Enfield is more accurate and shoots farther and is a real hoot to shoot. I bought my Enfield and use it for the same reasons as you. You won't be dissapointed.

ok thx again for your answers, and I will start with an enfield rilfe. I will buy my gun tomorow and I will use minie balls for hunting. I will report when I have got my enfield.

Ps: is there any differnce between a roud ball and a minie ball? I think my new enfield will be a good hunting rifle .I think the .577 minie ball will have better penetration power than a roundball. Am right? ::

Back