• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball results from new jug choked tulle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can respect TG's opinion. but i guess it just depends on what you do. myself, i'm a shooter and just a shooter, so i try to get every ounce of performance i can from my guns. i have a deep appreciation for HC/PC too, it's just a secondary consideration and i'll sacrifice a little on that aspect. however, that doesn't mean i don't respect hunting in traditional garb with a totally HC piece either. in short, too each his own.

It does not bother me because it does not show and I don't have it on all my guns.
I have one that is jugged and my son has one that is jugged. Purpose is for clay shooting. I don't want it on all because I have many of the same opinions like TG has stated.

If I really were concerned about the inside of the bore of my fowling pieces to be PC though, they would not be cylinder bore all thru but have a flared muzzle inside and a roughened or relieved breech. :thumbsup:
Matter of fact I have one here like that I hope to get on a gun by the beginning of the next century. :rotf:

Capt. Jas. said:
If I really were concerned about the inside of the bore of my fowling pieces to be PC though, they would not be cylinder bore all thru but have a flared muzzle inside and a roughened or relieved breech. :thumbsup: :rotf:

I've examined several old original guns which had a "roughened and relieved breech" due to corrosion having eaten away the bottom six inches. :haha:

CoyoteJoe said:
Capt. Jas. said:
If I really were concerned about the inside of the bore of my fowling pieces to be PC though, they would not be cylinder bore all thru but have a flared muzzle inside and a roughened or relieved breech. :thumbsup: :rotf:

I've examined several old original guns which had a "roughened and relieved breech" due to corrosion having eaten away the bottom six inches. :haha:
:rotf:
And the ones that weren't "roughened and relieved breech" were cut off back at the breech right? :rotf:

tg said:
I am old fashioned and try to stay with period methods to achive a goal, the jug choke is kinda like putting a 327 in a two wheeled cart cause the horses didn't pull it fast enough :hmm: how did they get by without such things in the 18th thru mid 19th century? I always wonder about this with most of the gadgets we add to make the guns do what we need.Most do not care about whether anything was similar or done in the past, but how did they get by?

But you're OK wearing your Gore-Tex with your HC outfit, right :hmm: :grin:

FWIW, I shoot my .28's with their cylinder bores as they are, and bare bore, no shot cups.

I do like a jug choke on my .20ga, make no bones about having it, don't try to hide it, and couldn't care less what anybody else thinks about it. :grin:

In both gauges I make reasonable concessions by not using modern plastic shot cups in either gauge...even going to the expense of buying Ecotungsten/Niceshot for goose hunting so I wouldn't be faced with having to use steel shot which forces a shot cup.

And when I drop the Flint on a Tom wearing my camo Gore-Tex rain suit and that jug choke wraps a handful of #6's around a longbeard's head, I feel just fine about it
:grin:

Back