• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ROUND OR SQUARE PATCHES ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He-Bear,
:hmm: :master: :applause:eek:utstanding idea!!!
thanks,
snake-eyes :applause: :peace: :)

To the question, What Size Hole saw do you use?
For .45 and .50 caliber I use a 1 1/4 dia saw.
For .54 and .58 caliber I use a 1 1/2 dia saw.

For a rough calculation of what dia patch to use, call the ball diameter "A"
multiply the ball dia times 1.5 and call it "B"

Add A and B together to get the patch diameter.

No this answer is not the exact size, but we're shooting muzzleloading guns, not building something to land on Titan so it's close enough to work well.
::

For a rough calculation of what dia patch to use, call the ball diameter "A"
multiply the ball dia times 1.5 and call it "B"

Add A and B together to get the patch diameter.

Wouldn't you get the same result if you just multiply "A" by 2.5?

Easiest way is to lay a piece of patch material over the muzzle, start the ball just below the muzzle and then cut with patch knife. Then if you want to make pre-cut patches just measure that one and you have the perfect size.

:hmm: Hmmmm, I wonder if triangle patches would work? :hmm:

TriangleTicking.jpg

Musketman,.... Thet looks like a "diaper",.... and would probably work better on a jacketed bullet!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

YMHS
rollingb

I use round patches with round ball and square patches with square ball, I never mix the two. :crackup: :crackup: :youcrazy: :youcrazy: :sorry:

Musketman,.... Thet looks like a "diaper". rollingb

Ah-HA!!!

I knew it, you could see all along... :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

You're busted... :D

I meant to say,.... Musketman,.... Thet smells like a "diaper",....

...... it's tough be'n blind ,..... 'cause I cain't see what my finger is type'n!! :cry: :boohoo: :redface:

YMHS
rollingb

Lots of the discussions here smell like diapers.

I think a square patch would be perfect for four-groove rifling. I just got tired of cutting heptagonal patches for my seven grooved rifling and went to cutting them at the muzzle so it's automatic.

Never tried square patches yet, but might since they seem easiest to make with minimum tools if you want to use pre-cut patches. Just need one of those roller cutters and a cutting pad. I have cut 'em at the barrel and used pre-made round patches. I made a patch cutter by sharpening a piece of iron pipe the right diameter for the size patch I want. I put a pipe cap on the other end. Thus I can lay my walmart pillow ticking on a piece of wood and twist out some patches while I'm sitting in front of the tube or the fireplace, or where ever without a need for an electric drill or any other tools. (Scissors wear my fingers out after a bit of cutting). It doesn't take too long to twist out a bunch.

I use the round patches because I also cut them at the muzzle of the rifle. This to me is still the best way to make a patched round.

Back