• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball rifling twists

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curry Mosher

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The following is from the "Rifle your barrel at home" article by Fred Stutzenberger and Robert Mims in the January 2001 issue of "Muzzle Blasts"--

Begin Quote--The rifling pitch (rate of twist) in rifle barrels ranges nominally from one revolution in 42 inches up to one in 72 inches for the patched round ball, and from one in 18 inches to one in 36 inches for elongated bullets. For pistol barrels, where the powder charge might be one-half that of a comparable rifle, the rate of twist might be one in 16 to one in 30 inches. Sir Alfred George Greenhill (1847-1927) proposed a formula in 1879 for the calculation of optimal rifling twist using either round or elongated bullets of pure lead with a specific gravity of 11.35:Optimal twist (inches/rev) = 150 x caliber x (D/L) where D and L are bullet diameter and bullet length, respectively. Of course, for a round ball, diameter equals length and the equation reduces to 150 x caliber. So, for a fifty-caliber rifle using a .490 ball, the optimal twist would be about one revolution in 73 inches. End Quote.

I read a post the other day that talked about the formula for twist, so when I was looking through an old "Muzzle Blasts" and ran across this, I just had to post it.

Latest posts

Back