• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundballs, sabots,maxies, minies-patched or no?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After spending the past week reading till I had a headach I still haven't got the info I really need(want?).
I know to patch a roundball. Lubed would be good. But after the powder charge I want to use a lubed maxie, do I use a patch, a lubed wad or what? Hows about the minnies? lubed patch? wonderwad? Right now I am really cornfused on this and could use some help.
I just ordered a Cabela's Hawken .50 cal and am hoping to get out tuesday or wednesday to burn some powder.This will be an ornamental/ hunting rifle for me so I am looking at what will work in the 50 to 100 yrd range. I am still finding things here that are a wonder at help but the patchedball, minie, maxie and sabot question has me twisted in nineteen places.

BTW- This place has ALL the other info spots on the web beat hands down! Thanks for being here!!

The Cabela's Hawken has a 1-48 twist. It should shoot round balls real well. A .490 or .495 rd. ball and a Lubed pillow ticking patch over 50-80 grs of 3f Goex or Pyrodex P powder. NO patches with mini's or maxi's. You can put a lubed wonder wad under a solid base conical, or under a patched rd. ball, for a better gas seal.

The Cabela's Hawken has a 1-48 twist. It should shoot round balls real well. A .490 or .495 rd. ball and a Lubed pillow ticking patch over 50-80 grs of 3f Goex or Pyrodex P powder. NO patches with mini's or maxi's. You can put a lubed wonder wad under a solid base conical, or under a patched rd. ball, for a better gas seal.

So the minie/maxies go right on top of the powder? Thanks for the answers :) :front:

"So the minie/maxies go right on top of the powder?"

They do unless you use one of the lubed cushion wads between them and the powder.

:) Thanks! I am beginning to understand now, LOL. I still have a ton of reading to do but your answers helped emmensely(sp)! Its been better than 25 yrs since I shot my dads now long gone musketoon and all I can remember is crammin the ball down and it going "KA-POW!"

I can't wait to get the thing smokin............as soon as I think I know what I am doing again :what:

Well, have fun but be safe. Better to ask questions and find out what ya need to know, than make a mistake that could get ya hurt.

Um, if Rollingb could see he might take exception at your avatar. :hmm:

In an infinate universe anything is possible, but that is come coincedental occurance there. :haha:

Good projectiles use patches, the rest are conicals.

Dinna pay stumpy no mind, he's tryin' to sell you one of his free atvars. :crackup: :hatsoff:

Dinna pay stumpy no mind, he's tryin' to sell you one of his free atvars. :crackup: :hatsoff:

Hammer Man

HammerMan2.jpg

Normally with a conical, you fill the grooves on the sides of the bullet with lubrication, and just seat it right on the powder. With some of the maxis (like T/C's Maxi-balls), the topmost groove will engage the rifling. I like Rebel's idea of using a lubed wad below the bullet, sort of like a gas check. You'll get a better seal and probably better performance going that route.

The safety thing is always on the mind. Thanks for the avatar :crackup:

Now I'm good with the projectile part, time for it to get here and find out what load AIN'T gonna knock me down :shocking: I'm thinking starting with 70-80 gr FFg and a lubed maxie then try with and without a lubed wonderwad and see what I can be happy with.
Thanks guys, this place kicks bootay!

Latest posts

Back