• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army fixed sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utahhntnful

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of trouble getting my Ruger pistol to shoot a good group, also it seems to shoot 4" high and left about 3" AT 25 YDS.Solid rest.
I shoot (fine bead) very top front to bottem on the rear. I have been shooting 30 grns. FFF with corn meal filler, balls just clear when seated.each ball shaves an (RCH) off when I seat them. Any info will be appreciated.

First, a question for you. Is the front sight blade on your ROA replaceable? If so you can fabricate a taller replacement blade. This will cause the shots to hit lower on the target. You can then file the blade to raise the point of impact to the point of aim. If you can't replace the blade, you can try making and soldering an extension to the top which will serve the same purpose.

To correct for the windage error I suggest you contact Ruger and ask if they have any recommendations. Even though they no longer make the Old Army, I am sure they will be happy to service it.

Should Ruger not be able to help your situation, you can consider thinning the blade by filing it on the RIGHT side. This will have the same effect as moving an adjustable rear sight to the right. Note the old advice of moving the front sight OPPOSITE the way you want to change the point of impact does apply in this case since you will be moving the centerline of the sight (by thinning the blade on the right side only) to the left. It shouldn't take much metal removal to change the point of impact by the desired amount.

I hope this explanation is clear enough for you. Sometimes it is hard for me to put concepts into words. If you have any other questions or if I've confused you more (I hope not), ask again. I'm really surprised you haven't already gotten a bunch of advice from the guys who usually post here. There are some really competent people who contribute to this forum. Good luck!

I shoot the same sight pattern and had to retrain myself to burying the front sight to lower point of aim now Ishoot my RUGERS just fine.Made them a contender out there a good ways

Last edited by a moderator:
Be aware that not all ROAs have pinned sights. I have 2 that aren't. I believe they are older guns.
I ended up building one of them up with JB Weld and reshaping it. Seems to be holding up OK.

Before I got the higher pinned front sight I too use epoxy to build it up a bit (approximately 1/16"). Used scotch tape on the sides of the sight to act as dams to keep the epoxy from running all over the place. Epoxy worked great. However, the factory sight blade looks a little cleaner.

Latest posts

Back